harpcolumn

Lever flipping

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Lever flipping

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

Thanks, Anne-Marie.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Anne,

Are your transcriptions of Bach for sale?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Maria, since I don’t think Anne Marie is around here much, here’s a link to her published music:

http://www.iol.ie/~amofharp/compositions_arrangements.html

She has the Bach prelude in C that several people have done, plus two fairly easy Bach preludes, but not the arrangements from her amazing “Just So Bach” recording.

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

Does anyone know what kind of levers are on the L&H Prelude? I had no trouble flipping those levers. I’m having a Webster harp made, and had decided on Camac – but now I’m not so sure…

barbara-brundage
    Participant

L&H uses their own performance levers, made specially for them. They’re okay, but camacs are better.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I practice on a Thormahlen Serenade with Camac levers and take lessons on a Prelude with Performance levers- I think they’re very similar, I like both, and I don’t notice one being easier to flip than the other.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I used to own a Thormahlen with Camac levers and now own a Lyon and Healy lever harp with Performance levers.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

When I say ‘better’ I don’t mean in terms of playing–they’re fairly similar there. L&H can be kind of stiff and camac handles are visually a tad confusing because of that swept back design, so that’s a wash as far as I’m concerned.

But you sure can’t regulate a performance lever anywhere near as quickly and easily as a camac lever, which is why I think the camacs are superior.

jennifer-byrne
    Participant

Hi Pat,

I’m having a Webster made as well and researched in obnoxious detail the differences between the Camac levers and Truitt levers.

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

Hi Jennifer –

Thanks for the opinion. I think I’ll see if I can try them both out again. Performance is the most important factor to me – but if it’s a tie – I’ll go with the gold!

What model are you having Bill make for you? Do you live in the area so that you can see it as it’s being made? I’m minutes from his shop, and hope to take pictures of mine as it’s being made.

jennifer-byrne
    Participant

Morning, Pat,

I’m having a Madame Cadillac made but I am unfortunately located in upstate NY so can’t take the 7-8 hour trip to see it being made.

Jennifer,

Are you anywhere near Owego, NY? Meredith Bocek has some Webster harps you could try….Webster Harps

Lookie!

Briggsie

jennifer-byrne
    Participant

Oh, yes, I visited Mere one afternoon a few weeks ago and that was what clinched the deal.

karen
    Participant

I find the colored rubber rings/band very helpful…you look up and are very clear which lever needs to be flipped. I am an dental hygienist and most dental offices use small colored rubber rings to put around the instruments so that everyone can tell whose instruments belong to whom (preferences, etc)
    If you are friendly with your dental office, stop by and ask for a few. (you’ll need the rings for large instrument handles not slender. I made up a few little containers and gave them to my harp teacher and she passes then along as she sees fit and says it is amazing the bright smiles of relief that come over her students faces when she presents them!! Good luck overcoming this obstacle!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies