harpcolumn

Camac Trianon 47, lyon healy style 23

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Camac Trianon 47, lyon healy style 23

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    o. t.
    Participant

anyone has played on these harps?

i don’t get to try out that many harps in my area. i’ve only tried out lyon healy style 100, camac elysee, salvi aurora and salvi daphne 47ex so far. i like the sound of lyon healy and camac a bit more. they sound a bit louder and clearer to me. but i don’t like the look of style 100 and elysee is a bit over the top for my taste (i don’t like gold.. esp on shiny wood…)

i’m deciding between camac trianon 47 and lyon healy style 23. how’s LH services (regulation,…) if you’re not living in U.S.?? What about Camac if you’re not in France?

if anyone owns one of the camacs, please let me know about the regulation. i’ve heard that you can actually do it yourself. i just don’t know how easy/hard it is and how it works.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Oshiya,

I

o. t.
    Participant

thnx for the info.

i actually tried playing on LH, camac and Salvi again… Maybe it was the size of the room or sth last time. So this time around, i ask them to put all 3 brands in the same room, so i can really judge the sound… i actually love salvi aurora. but then it could also be that salvi is 5 years old and the sound has improved and the other 2 are brand new. maybe it’s just me but i also like the string tension on salvi more… it’s somewhat more consistent…

I have played several 23’s and am not too impressed…..but there must be a wonderful one or two out there somewhere. 🙂 Seriously, they are big harps, but the ones I have played haven’t sounded “even” across the octaves for my taste or had particularly lovely tones. Camac harps — in the US it isn’t hard to find technicians. Yes, you can “regulate” the length of the pedal cables by yourself, but I still have my Athena regulated yearly by Tom Bell. He checks over everything on the harp.

Briggsie

Style 23s have long been the gold standard in harp tone and visual beauty, for over 50 years. They are the harp all others are routinely compared to. The days when they varied tremendously from one to another are long gone, it seems. Current manufacturing seems to result in very consistently good harps.

One thing that you can do if not in the U.S., is to learn to do the basic maintenance and regulation yourself, as we all used to do, more or less. I believe Carl Swanson’s book tells you how to do that, and Lyon & Healy will supply the parts.

Based on the Camac harps that I have heard, they are not quite of the same quality of manufacturing or tone in performance. They are less expensive, as far as I know, so if cost is an issue, that is worth considering. What you need the harp for is another thing. If you will be playing at home for yourself, you can get pretty much anything. If you will play in an orchestra, you need certain kinds of harps.

Regulation requires manual dexterity, and comfort with tools, and some analytical thinking. With study and practice, it is manageable.

Style 23s are considered top-of-the-line among Lyon & Healy models. The 100 is an excellent mid-line harp. If you have not liked them, you could try the Style 30 for

Oh brother, here we go again…..and what per se is it in the manufacturing of Camac harps that makes them less in quality than L&H harps, Saul? Is it the fact that they don’t use felts on the pedals which wear out? Or is it that the cables bother you because they are not rods? What???? And what about the tone? Prove it….it’s just YOUR EARS telling you. Mine tell me otherwise. This stupid argument will never end as long as you make silly statements like this. You don’t say YOU find them less, you say they ARE less……

Maria Myers
    Participant

Briggs,

This is how I feel when people (not you) run down Dusties for their supposed inferiority in craftsmanship and because they’re “mass produced”.

leonard-lim
    Participant

I used to play on a Camac Atlantide-Prestige and am currently using an L&H 23.

o. t.
    Participant

Thnx for all your opinions. Guess it’s a personal preference when it comes to harp. I think I’ll be getting style 23 in natural. I love the sound of L&H. I checked with my school and there’s a tech coming every 2 years, so regulation shouldn’t be a problem. Just have to take the harp to school.

leonard-lim
    Participant

I’ve just returned to my Camac Atlantide-Prestige after

Can you let a harp sit for 2 years and not have a need for string replacement? I’m asking because I really don’t know. I’ve never been in the position not to play my harps like you have been.

leonard-lim
    Participant

Hi Briggsie!

Okay….was just wondering. Whenever I’m away (but never for that long) and come home, I always forget how wonderful my harp is. I would hate it to be any other way. I hope you like yours again.

Briggsie

barbara-low
    Participant

If your harp has sat for 2 years with the tension loosened, the board will take a bit of time to open up after pulling the strings up to pitch and stabilizing. Give yourself some time to get reacquainted with your harp. You might find it has some advantages over the 23 you played. Are you open to tweaking your technique a bit to see how your harp responds? It’s not a bad skill to have – altering your technique some – since you may find yourself playing other people’s harps for various reasons.

Let us know if you’ve fallen in love with it again :-)

barbara-low
    Participant

About the edgy sound you’re getting. If your callouses are very hard you can soften them up by wrapping your fingers in gauze, after applying petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to the tips. Keep the gauze in place with cloth tape. I’ve been doing this because my fingertips always split open from the cold, and this is a side benefit.

Wear ear plugs.

http://www.shape.bc.ca/resources/pdf/noisehearinglossmusicians.pdf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies