harpcolumn

Broken Strings Camac Melusine

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Broken Strings Camac Melusine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    martin-solomon
    Participant

Help – I’ve already broken two strings on my new Camac Melusine nylon strung harp (2nd octave and 2nd octave B – they broke at the levers).

Should I be worried? Could there be something wrong with the harp?

The harp is beautiful to play, but I am certainly very disappointed as one reason for choosing this model was that I thought that the days of constantly breaking gut strings would be over.

Any ideas?

Martin
    Bristol, UK

Are there sharp edges on the levers?

One of my students was having trouble with breaking strings, and it turned out that she had the harp by a sunny window. Once she moved the harp to a shadier spot in the house, the strings settled down.

martin-solomon
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.

I am interested to know of other people’s experiences of string breakages with nylon-strung harps.

I did have an optimistic idea that my new Melusine would mean an end to the stress and inconvenience of constant string breakages (as happens with gut-strung harps).

Martin

Patti Newson
    Participant

I have not played a Melusine, but I have been thinking of getting one.

Patti Newson
    Participant

Hello, I too have a Camac Melusine which I love and I want to change my wire strings, do you know what kind of wire strings are on your Melusine?

martin-solomon
    Participant

Ben – I love the bright sound of my Melusine.

I always use Camac strings (in fact the Cardiff harp shop who sold me the harp said that if I didn’t I would invalidate the guarantee).

Martin
    Bristol, UK
    martin@martinsolomon.com

I should knock on wood as I have

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.