Broken Strings Camac Melusine

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    martin-solomon on #160683

Help – I’ve already broken two strings on my new Camac Melusine nylon strung harp (2nd octave and 2nd octave B – they broke at the levers).

Should I be worried? Could there be something wrong with the harp?

The harp is beautiful to play, but I am certainly very disappointed as one reason for choosing this model was that I thought that the days of constantly breaking gut strings would be over.

Any ideas?

Martin
    Bristol, UK

jennifer-buehler on #160684

Are there sharp edges on the levers?

Participant
    Elizabeth Volpé Bligh on #160685

One of my students was having trouble with breaking strings, and it turned out that she had the harp by a sunny window. Once she moved the harp to a shadier spot in the house, the strings settled down.

Participant
    martin-solomon on #160686

Thanks for the replies.

I am interested to know of other people’s experiences of string breakages with nylon-strung harps.

I did have an optimistic idea that my new Melusine would mean an end to the stress and inconvenience of constant string breakages (as happens with gut-strung harps).

Martin

Participant
    Patti Newson on #160687

I have not played a Melusine, but I have been thinking of getting one.

Participant
    Patti Newson on #160688

Hello, I too have a Camac Melusine which I love and I want to change my wire strings, do you know what kind of wire strings are on your Melusine?

Participant
    martin-solomon on #160689

Ben – I love the bright sound of my Melusine.

I always use Camac strings (in fact the Cardiff harp shop who sold me the harp said that if I didn’t I would invalidate the guarantee).

Martin
    Bristol, UK
    martin@martinsolomon.com

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #160690

I should knock on wood as I have

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.