Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: harp teacher in Dallas area #84459

    Rachel, There are two Stoney End Lorraine harps listed in the lever harps for sale site here under classifieds. $700 for one or $1200 for both.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: harp teacher in Dallas area #85682

    Rachel, There are two Stoney End Lorraine harps listed in the lever harps for sale site here under classifieds. $700 for one or $1200 for both.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: What do you sit upon while playing? #160443

    Check out BBR Woodworking.

    in reply to: What do you sit upon while playing? #160441

    It is pretty expensive, but it doesn’t seem to be very well built.

    in reply to: What do you sit upon while playing? #160436

    The bench where I have my lessons (local university) is a nice-looking wooden adjustable harp bench from L&H. It is a wreck, and I think it’s only about 2 years old, if that. It hasn’t gotten that much use either. All squeaky and wobbly, and everytime I sit down on it, I have to tighten the screws. That seems wrong, somehow.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: What do you sit upon while playing? #160429

    An Adjustrite Chair. They are no longer made. I love mine….have 2 of them.

    Briggs

    in reply to: What do the numbers mean? #151957

    I know David Daniels. I sang under his baton when I won a concerto competition at Oakland University several years ago. It was a pleasant musical experience.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Exercises #151948

    Well particularly for the harp, the only thing I do is stretch out on a gadget that you lie on and it arches your back and relaxes the hips and then I just do floor stretches, but all after I play. Regularly I go to the gym — every other day — and do workouts for my upper body, abs and legs along with cardio mostly so that I can stay healthy, hoist my pedal harp around and continue to walk limberly with advanced arthritis in my hips. So far it’s working just fine.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Do adult amateurs have special problems learning harp? #85728

    in reply to: Changing the strings #159726

    I do the whole harp one string at a time from the bottom up. I slowly bring each string up to pitch, then I take

    in reply to: Harp centers #160553

    But Rod,

    in reply to: Your Own Harp for Lessons? #160594

    I can’t speak for anyone besides myself, of course, but I believe that the reason I make some odd goofs when playing at a lesson isn’t because of the room change or the harp change, but simply because I know that I am being very very carefully observed. This causes me a lot of tension. I have a lot of trouble blowing off the fact that I am being “watched.” And, of course I WANT to be carefully observed…..this is what I am paying for, but all the same, it does cause a lot of tension…..a good thing actually. How much tension will I feel when I am performing? It’s a good thing.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Your Own Harp for Lessons? #160590

    Every harp feels different. I think it’s best not to take your own harp because when you play harp, you often are required to play a harp other than your own. The better you can adapt quickly to a different instrument, the more proficient you will be. I never bring my own harp, but that’s because I don’t play lever harp at my lessons, and I’m sure not going to haul my pedal harp. I usually get a choice when my lessons are being set up as to whether I want to study on the university harp or at my teacher’s house. If possible, I always choose her house. I’d much rather play on her Camac Atlantide than on the schools L&H 100, partly because I own a Camac and am used to the string spacing, and partly because I just like her harp better than any harp I have ever played and love to play it. However, I did play for months and months — and still do at times — on the L&H harp. I kind of like that “switcheroo” thing I have to do when I sit down to that harp.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: 44 Strings Extended or 46 String Straight? #75023

    She lives in Thailand.

    I wonder what she ended up with…..would be nice to see the follow-up on this.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Camac Trianon 47, lyon healy style 23 #75076

    Oh brother, here we go again…..and what per se is it in the manufacturing of Camac harps that makes them less in quality than L&H harps, Saul? Is it the fact that they don’t use felts on the pedals which wear out? Or is it that the cables bother you because they are not rods? What???? And what about the tone? Prove it….it’s just YOUR EARS telling you. Mine tell me otherwise. This stupid argument will never end as long as you make silly statements like this. You don’t say YOU find them less, you say they ARE less……

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 717 total)