harpcolumn

Especially useful musical iPhone apps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Especially useful musical iPhone apps?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kreig-kitts

Now that I own an iPhone, are there any especially useful or fun music-related applications? For a person who plays guitar (not I, alas), there’s one to look up chords and show them in tablature. Any others?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

There are tuners, metronomes, multi-track recorders. I like Karajan, an ear training program (there’s a free version).

louise-vickerman
    Participant

The best metronome app is Tempo (by Frozen Ape) for 99 cents it is a bargain!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Louise, I’m curious. I notice that a lot of the reviews of Tempo say it’s as good as Dr. Beat, but can you set patterns like 2 against 3, the way you can with most of the Dr. Beat metronomes?

helen-rudd
    Participant

I use a body beat metronome because I have a terrible time listening to a beat and following it, the body beat actually pulses. Since phones can vibrate does anyone know if there is a metronome ap for phones that pulses physically as well as audibly (or instead of). THAT I would get!
    Helen

tony-morosco
    Participant

Never seen that. Two things that would need to be looked at to see if it would work.

One is can you program the vibration for a specific duration? If you can’t precisely control the duration of the vibration then it really can’t be used for a metronome. Also how fast can you get the phone to vibrate in succession. I have never seen an instance where the phone vibrates short but fast bursts in a row which it would need to do in order to accommodate different time signatures and tempi.

The other is the effect on battery life. Making a phone vibrate actually takes a bit of energy, more than just making it make a sound. If the app causes the battery to drain too fast that would make it impractical.

Depending on these two factors I don’t why the metronome apps can’t be reconfigured to vibrate as well as sound.

barbara-low
    Participant

Peterson has made their StroboSoft tuner available for iPhones and iTouch.

http://www.petersontuners.com/isoftgwlp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.