harpcolumn

Knitting and crochet-ing

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Knitting and crochet-ing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mel Sandberg
    Participant

If there are any harpists who do any of the above, can somebody help me?

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Sorry, if anybody knows the correct word for the present continuous tense of crochet, that would also be welcome.

helen-rudd
    Participant

Just think if you sat down at the harp and played 5 hours the very first time you every saw it. Your arms would feel like they were ready to fall off, your back would be in agony, your shoulders would be screaming…The same applies to knitting and crocheting. Do only a 1/2 hour or so a day and build up to longer time periods. Every year I pick up my knitting needles in the beginning of October to make xmas gifts and I am always suprised when my arms and hands hurt for days. The trick is to take it slow.
    Helen

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

There are two styles of knitting: Continental and European.

Tacye
    Participant

I have a tendency to grasp my crochet hook too tightly which makes my fingers tired.

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Yes, I use a fat crochet hook to start with for the hats I sell (wooden size L or M), and slide one of those foam pencil cushions they sell at Staples over the hook. I used to be able to crochet four or five hats a day, but lately can only do three or four if I push it. The next day I wake up with lots of pain in my hands, but when I have two weeks to make thirty-five hats for an order, on top of other work, I don’t have much choice!
    Leigh

tony-morosco
    Participant

I knit and it has never negatively effected my playing. In fact I find it keeps my hands in good shape and relaxed.

It sounds to me like either one or two things going on. One is that like anything else

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Hello Mel,

As a long-time, sometimes professional knitter, I can offer some advice.

I thought crochets were quarter-notes in England.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Quarter notes are crotchets.

diana-day
    Participant

I think some people can knit and play the harp and some have to make a choice to do one or the other. If you have any arthritis in your hands it may be best to let them rest when you’re not playing depending on how you feel that day. I agree that the smaller needles are easier to hold and personally find the continental method easier on the hands. Best wishes-hope you can find a way to knit or crochet and play harp as well.

unknown-user
    Participant

“I found the knitting wrecked my left hand’s 5th and 4th finger, and left side of the lower arm so badly, that I decided to do the work by crochet-ing instead.

richard-hagan
    Participant

I agree that you should use wooden (or plastic or casein — just not metal) needles if you are not already.

barbara-low
    Participant

I could practice and play harp for hours and then knit/crochet for hours when I was younger, but now I have to pace myself. If I’ve got a lot of playing to do, I back off on the other stuff to save my hands. Also check the ergonomics of all the other things that involve using your hands – is your mouse and keyboard at a good height, etc. It is nice to get back into knitting and crochet, but you’ll have to get your hands and arms use to doing it again. They may remember all the movements, but the muscles and tendons need to be conditioned gradually or you’ll end up hurting yourself.

barbara-low
    Participant

Geri,

Are you on Ravelry? https://www.ravelry.com/

There’s a forum for harpist/harpers there called “Playing with Strings.”

Barbara

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies