Alison

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 489 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Singing in the Rain – Harp part/Lever #190582
    Alison
    Participant

    I have dealt with this now by writing a guidance note for Junior Harp Parts, encouraging the incumbent music teacher or their peripatetic harpist to put together a harp part from the score /piano reduction taking into consideration the technical and musical guidance notes I have provided – probably the best way forward for the pupil and the school concerned. Not really helpful for a grade 1 harpist to be palmed off with a wind part, huh !!

    in reply to: Environmental music in hospice for a lever harp #190359
    Alison
    Participant

    Re Therapy: There is an article in the current edition of New Scientist (no 3038, pp 36-39) dated 12th September 2015 entitled “Healing Rhythms – is music therapy due a reprise ?” It starts to examine the role and effect of song and music in the brain, levels of dopamines and cortisol etc so worth reading – what it doesn’t mention however is that the ‘wrong kind of music’ for any individual can be intensely irritating – even I find that everything has a time and a place.

    in reply to: String Storage #190315
    Alison
    Participant

    I just put an elastic band around octave sets….. they are already in plastic ziplocks.

    in reply to: F pedal squeaking #190314
    Alison
    Participant

    It’s probably the spring – a little bit of sewing machine or bike oil will do. WD40 too but is more likely to drip on your carpet. Sometimes the sprint is fouling (catching) the pedal rod and the arms of the spring needs a little bending with pliers to clear the rod……

    in reply to: Parish-Alvars' Serenade for Harp – Opus 83 #189774
    Alison
    Participant

    I don’t understand what you mean by slide measures, is there a key or a transposition down a tone, and if so, where ? I must have a recording on LP or cassette somewhere but can’t locate that now and all I can find is one recording on CD since 1995. My brain knows the flow of the piece to listen to, it’s a lovely piece.

    in reply to: Parish-Alvars' Serenade for Harp – Opus 83 #189769
    Alison
    Participant

    Having found the original on imslp I think the answer is that it varies and is different again (or perhaps the same) on the last page in the reprise, but I will have to study it.
    http://imslp.org/wiki/S%C3%A9r%C3%A9nade,_Op.83_%28Parish-Alvars,_Elias%29

    in reply to: Clunkers we have known and loved…. #189755
    Alison
    Participant

    never seen nor heard of a Delveau until just now, had an enquiry from someone very local to me who has a Delveau but hasn’t played it for circa 20 years.

    in reply to: HOW LONG? #189716
    Alison
    Participant

    Your cup is always full then – are you saying that lists of pieces Never-Started and Never-Finished don’t exist ? I am simply relieved to be able to learn pieces that were previously way beyond me, it’s thro’ reading Harp Column that I began to understand just how long they take to bed-in, perfect and revise.

    in reply to: Making lessons fun for young students #189614
    Alison
    Participant

    I’ve never thought of games before until recently when the 7 year old beginner, who’s slowly getting acquainted with the harp begged me to play a game and made this one up, simple but fun for her. The harpist plays up and down the harp – scales or arpeggios, say, the observer shouts out a note/chord name and the harpist must stop and play that – this showed me that she wouldn’t remember to use the levers for F# or Bb. For a slightly more varied version I made one of those paper fortune tellers (aka cootie catcher) with various choices of key and playing tasks (note, glissando, octaves, scale, arpeggio etc – you have to unfold it to work out which squares and triangles to write in – 4 outside squares, 2 sets of 4 choices and 1-1 tasks underneath, so the logic has to flow….. probably useful for testing scales etc for grades. Anyway it’s a reminder to us all to lighten up sometime….. have fun. I wonder what Tom and Jerry would do….. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Jerry_in_the_Hollywood_Bowl

    in reply to: Lehar's "Gold And Silver Waltz", orchestra #189612
    Alison
    Participant

    I do, and can scan it today or tomorrow, but have to go down to library etc…. DONE.

    in reply to: What's your favorite "Prayer" Type piece #189526
    Alison
    Participant

    Priere by Delmas is the only one I know which I used to play it as an interlude when I first resumed harp at about grade 5 difficulty level, ….. not too tricky, soothing, perhaps a little tame if played too slowly……
    http://shop.morleyharps.co.uk/acatalog/200103.html

    in reply to: Offrande by Tournier–Question! #189433
    Alison
    Participant

    the convention is to draw a small circle around notes which are played on the adjacent string, that’s the reminder.

    in reply to: when people move your harp #189094
    Alison
    Participant

    I think the answer every time would be to tell the fixer upfront that no-one, (mark) no-one is to touch or move the harp without the harpist’s specific authority and that if it were to be damaged there would be insurance implications. So that way, they’ll get the message themselves..!!

    in reply to: Interlude – Ceremony of Carols (Benjamin Britten) #188234
    Alison
    Participant

    It’s a good question which I would examine again, as I suspect it might open in Dorian or Aeolian mode. I have often wondered why it sounds like it does.

    in reply to: F pedal keeps slipping #188193
    Alison
    Participant

    As my neighbor supplied the glue gun he also helped me do the job and an extra pairs of hands and eyes on the process was invaluable, especially as it was my first time doing felts.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 489 total)