Alison

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 489 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Dr. Carrol McLaughlin #215763
    Alison
    Participant

    Very sad to hear that, she was a great player and tutor in Germany at the first jazz fest in the late 90’s or noughties. I have one of her CD s.

    in reply to: Threaded vs Tapered Tuning Pins Christina Therapy Harp? #215404
    Alison
    Participant

    What do they look like ?

    Alison
    Participant

    It’s so wonderful to listen to, it has a restful, soothing & healing effect on me, the opposite of the difficulties playing it – there are many pieces that I am quite happy just listening to, given the luxury !!

    Alison
    Participant

    Hi Ka, I was alerted to this last night, as it came to my personal email. Without knowing yours, all I can do is reply to harp column and attach the files, which I did, and hopefully the office will send them onto you, as I can’t see your own email on this site. I don’t think we should attach files to the site as access is unrestricted. Alison

    in reply to: One page orchestral parts for teaching ? #213781
    Alison
    Participant

    Thank you, I’m going to enjoy looking through and gathering these. It’s difficult to introduce private pupils to orchestra, though obviously I’d usually choose easy parts, but nothing’s particularly easy on harp. I want pupils to discover and listen to a variety of works. Perhaps I can do the same with some of the cadenzas. Alison

    in reply to: harp in an apartment? #213255
    Alison
    Participant

    Well whoever thought of that, I was asked politely if I could mute the harp when in a Luxembourg apartment with a wooden floor, so the tenant beneath me wrote a polite note and I couldn’t figure out how to. In my experience people can get used to harp in the background but newcomers and visitors notice repetition, so be considerate and if it clashes badly with another’s taste you’ll get aggressive behaviour which interferes with everything and your own piece of mind.
    When I was working on the Danses, I think the bass notes reverberated enough to annoy a neighbor to the side when past bedtime and I’d get an angry telephone call.

    in reply to: Pedal rod for Pilgrim 41 #210711
    Alison
    Participant

    I am sure they will be able to supply another so give them 1 to 14 days to respond they might be out on the road or on the isle of wight.

    in reply to: Chaconne by Jeremiah Clarke #210634
    Alison
    Participant

    When you say the original score for whatever instruments, I too am curious. My pupils play what I assume is an arrangement for harp in the Classical Harpist book, also with its Welsh title of Y Telynor Clasurol, for players about grade 3 standard. Useful as so much easier than Pachelbel, & just as pleasing.

    in reply to: Tips for playing 3 against 2 #209115
    Alison
    Participant

    Why not study Grandjany’s Arabesque, first. That’s how I learnt 3 against 2. Not a well known piece.

    in reply to: Tips for playing 3 against 2 #208977
    Alison
    Participant

    learn to tap your knees or thighs.

    in reply to: Tuning by Ear vs. Electronic Tuner #207132
    Alison
    Participant

    I’ve gone back to tuning by ear at home and sometimes with a pupil’s harp, because it’s quicker and reinforces my ear’s training, making my ears do more work. They (pupils) absorb the 4ths and 5ths routine by osmosis and I can tune in any key if I have to do something quickly. If I were going out or to orchestra then I’d probably make sure of using the electronic tuner. Interesting comments about equal temperament, a US composer who is based in Hawaii was in a coffee bar in London and asking me furtively what system I use for equal and unequal temperament and I had to explain 4 or 5 times about the need for accurate enharmonics. I think it’s his pet subject.

    in reply to: Hasselmans La source #207081
    Alison
    Participant

    yes omit the 3rd last page (will check my copy for the exact page), when the opening theme is repeated,

    in reply to: Debussy – La Damasoille Elue (Blessed Damsel) #206264
    Alison
    Participant

    To Musikfind1 – thank you, but when I follow your link the available parts do not show the harp part separately, as it does for the bowed string parts and the horn. It seems that the other parts are in a packaged set (incl 4,4,3,2,2) for $140.  I would order the harp part in duplicate if I could and at $4 each that’s a snip, before shipping (!).

    in reply to: Debussy – La Damasoille Elue (Blessed Damsel) #206263
    Alison
    Participant

    Hi Carl – my conductor friend took huge liking to it – so having obtained the parts we are starting to play through it with a local orchestra.  BTW I came a cross your original harp maintenance book which a pupil acquired – very useful & I wish I could find another copy.

     

    in reply to: Walton Viola Concerto – one version has a harp part #206133
    Alison
    Participant

    Well yes the part does need some preparation time, but not too difficult, I played it only once in rehearsal mode with The Rehearsal Orchestra in London and Stephen Struikshank (or Cruikshank) as the soloist – I only remember the lyrical middle part, similar construct to the violin concerto which I had performed before. I have since purchased the scores of both of these so they are to hand for the the next time.  Anyone know if there is a harp part in the cello concerto, they are all related, IMHO.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 489 total)