harpcolumn

One page orchestral parts for teaching ?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp One page orchestral parts for teaching ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

Can you think of any orchestral parts which are limited to a single page, as I am looking to compile some teaching resources and laminate them. So far I have thought of The Blue Danube (which gave me the idea), the Meistersingers and Sospiri.

Julie Koenig
    Participant

How about the Mascagni Intermezzo from Cavalleria rusticana?
    Julie in Atlanta

Julie Koenig
    Participant

Also, I believe Song of India from Sadko by Rimsky-Korsakov is one page.
    Julie in Atlanta

Julie Koenig
    Participant

Me again. I currently don’t have access to my music so these have all been off the top of my head, but I thought of one more…Dvořák Carnival Overture.
    Julie in Atlanta

Alison
    Participant

Thank you, I’m going to enjoy looking through and gathering these. It’s difficult to introduce private pupils to orchestra, though obviously I’d usually choose easy parts, but nothing’s particularly easy on harp. I want pupils to discover and listen to a variety of works. Perhaps I can do the same with some of the cadenzas. Alison

Alison
    Participant

Finally, I have come across a very useful orchestral part in just one and a half pages from the overture of Khovanshchina by Mussorgsky, which starts with 4-5 #’s, then 2 #’s with accidentals/pedalling, then into 6-7 #’s & suddenly to 5 b’s, (although I notice only 2 b’s are necessary) and since the part is pretty simple to look at, the learning points I wanted are there. We can print the part and look at the score online and listen to the recording, so for teaching it’s surprisingly relevant to demonstrate the approach and logic involved in pedalling a part.
    https://imslp.org/wiki/Khovanshchina_(Mussorgsky,_Modest)

Incidentally a Russian pianist asked me last week whether we ever use all these sharps and I was able to say categorically yes and cite this example, the title of which she was better able to pronounce !!

Femke Brouwer
    Participant

How about the Ravel pavane? My part was two pages but there were a lot of rests. I think it’s a great piece for people who haven’t played with orchestras very often because it teaches you to count and at the end there’s this nice section where you are kind of leading the orchestra.

The overture to Die Meistersinger is all chords on one page. I think it was the first part I ever learned.

Alison
    Participant

Thank you, I just wanted suggestions that are not complicated, too thick in texture or hard to read or navigate for a novice harpist !

Sibelius – The Swan of Tuonela has a lovely, easy, one-page harp part. You can find it on IMSLP.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Alison
    Participant

Why, thank you Elizabeth. That’s very nice, as I must admit I was never sure whether there was a harp part in the Swan of Tuonela, not sure I ever heard it !

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Alison.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies