harpcolumn

Threaded vs Tapered Tuning Pins Christina Therapy Harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Threaded vs Tapered Tuning Pins Christina Therapy Harp?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    boundetermined
    Participant

Hello fellow Harpers!

Ok, Here’s the issue.. I am considering therapy harps. I had it down to a Christina Therapy or a Lewis Nightingale – leaning towards the Christina, because of the string spacing…

Then it hit me…. the tuning pin dilemma…

I have a Dusty Strings Ravenna 34, and one of the things I love about it (among many), is that it has threaded tuning pins. This is a huge boon, in my estimation.

Does anyone out there know if it’s possible to get threaded tuning pins on either The Christina or Nightingale? I’d really like to avoid tapered if possible. Or is there anything out there comparable (quality/tone-wise), with threaded pins?

Biagio
    Participant

You might ask Triplett or Lewis Creek if they would do that for you. Another possible harp to consider: the Harps of Lorien Raphael. Since the Raphael is only made to order they might be more amenable. That is the therapy harp favored by Laurie Riley BTW.

Speaking of which, Laurie and some others prefer zither pegs for therapy harps to keep thee weight down.

Personally the type of tuning peg does not make much difference to me except a preference for only having to carry around one wrench size. Some #4 tapered pegs have the same head size as the Dusty threaded ones. Actually I prefer tapered, but up to you.

Just ask the makers on questions like this: most will be accommodating though they might charge a bit more than for their standard design.

Biagio

charles-nix
    Participant

Hope I’m not stating the obvious, but why not just send an email to Triplett and/or Lewis Creek and ask the builders?

I far prefer tapered, personally, for ease in adjusting pin tension independently of pin depth, and not having to screw out exactly the right number of turns before installing a new string to leave the string angle correct.

But, to each his own. If you prefer threaded, maybe they can oblige.

Charles

boundetermined
    Participant

So, slipping isn’t a big issue?

boundetermined
    Participant

Ha – yes, that’s obvious. I thought I would put the question out there and see what opinions I received, before taking it to the next level.

I play a few bowed string instruments, so I may just have post traumatic stress disorder from slipping pegs : ) Perhaps it’s different with metal in wood, but that wood in wood, and humdity changes can be a pain. I guess I’m magnifying it to dozens of strings on a harp.

I don’t mind being proven “worrying about nothing”. In fact, I’m hoping that’s the general consensus, which would negate a question to either company.

It’s a whole new world to me, forgive my lack of knowledge, please.

balfour-knight
    Participant

I prefer tapered pins, despite the fact that my Dusty FH36S has threaded pins. Like Charles said, having to back out the threaded pins to change a string is a pain! If a tapered pin ever works loose, all that is necessary is to apply pressure to the tuning key, turning back and forth a bit to force the pin a bit further into the wooden neck of the harp.

boundetermined
    Participant

Thank you. I’m sure if tapered was an issue, you of all people would be the first to say so. Appreciate your input.

wil-weten
    Participant

Tapered pins work great for me. No slipping.

I would be more shy if a harp has zither pins, although they have their advantages too.

Biagio
    Participant

Wil, I agree in general. As you say they have their uses: most often for a fairly lightly tensioned harp of 3 1/2 octaves or so. I’d be particularly inclined to use them on on a small double where through pegs would make it pretty top heavy. It is also easier to space them on a double.

Disadvantages: you have to special-order (or drill) string holes for gauges over 0.040″; and they may eventually distort the peg hole and slip if the wood is softer than cherry. Like the Dusty threaded pegs, too, you have to back them out a few turns when changing a string.

Biagio

Alison
    Participant

What do they look like ?

Biagio
    Participant

Do you mean ‘what do zither pegs look like’ Alison? Here’s a page from Musicmakers – browse down to see tapered, and threaded-a-la Dusty:

https://www.harpkit.com/musical-hardware.html

B

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.