harpcolumn

Walton Viola Concerto – one version has a harp part

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Walton Viola Concerto – one version has a harp part

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

We are playing the Walton Viola Concerto this week in the VSO, and there is an extensive harp part! On previous occasions when we have done it, there was none. In fact, in the orchestration list provided in our schedules, the harp was not part of it. So, heads up, in case you see it in an upcoming program. You may get a surprise!

This edition is published by the Oxford University Press. I found the font a bit small and faint, so I had to enlarge my part and darken some notes.

MusikFind1
    Participant

Details from Daniels Orchestral Music Online:
    VIOLA Concerto,  [original version]
    <1928–1929; rev 1961>
    27′
    3[1.2.pic]  3[1.2.Eh]  3[1.2.bcl]  3[1.2.cbn] — 4  3  3  1 — tmp — str
    Original 1929 version. The 1930 piano reduction used a version of the solo part by Lionel Tertis, which diverged from Walton’s original. A 1938 reduction, approved by Walton, used phrasings, articulations and bowings by Frederick Riddle, and corresponded to Riddle’s 1937 recording.
    I. Andante comodo 9′
    II. Vivo; con molto preciso 5′
    III. Allegro moderato 13′
    Pub: Oxford

Concerto, Viola [1961 revision] <1928–1929; rev 1961>
    27′
    2[1.2/pic]  2[1.Eh]  2[1.2/bcl]  2 — 4  2  3  0 — tmp — hp — str
    Revised in 1961. Through a mixup between the publisher and the composer, this edition is based on the Lionel Tertis version of the solo part with additional changes by Walton, rather than the Frederick Riddle solo part which Walton actually preferred. Scores and parts for this version have been withdrawn.
    <I. Andante comodo 9′
    Not Available

Concerto, Viola [definitive version] <1928–1929; rev 1961>
    27′
    2[1.2/pic]  2[1.Eh]  2[1.2/bcl]  2 — 4  2  3  0 — tmp — hp — str
    The new Walton Edition of this work brings together for the first time the revised (1961) orchestration and the Frederick Riddle version of the solo part from 1937. This is believed to represent the composer’s intention, though he also allowed for the possibility of performances of the original version.
    I. Andante comodo 9′
    Pub: Oxford

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by MusikFind1.
    • This reply was modified 7 years ago by MusikFind1. Reason: Format
    • This reply was modified 7 years ago by MusikFind1.
    Alison
    Participant

Well yes the part does need some preparation time, but not too difficult, I played it only once in rehearsal mode with The Rehearsal Orchestra in London and Stephen Struikshank (or Cruikshank) as the soloist – I only remember the lyrical middle part, similar construct to the violin concerto which I had performed before. I have since purchased the scores of both of these so they are to hand for the the next time.  Anyone know if there is a harp part in the cello concerto, they are all related, IMHO.

I played this in 1982, at Chautauqua Festival. It was quite playable, well written. I don’t know which version it was.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies