adam-b-harris

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: your visit card Design,what do you write there? #146856
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Laurel, I figure harper/harpist is a distinction made by us as musicians, not the client who doesn’t really care about the semantics. So I use the word “harpist” as thats the word people seem more familiar with. Mind you, I have a picture of me and the harp on the card so people know what they are getting.

    in reply to: 22 or 27 strings? #70717
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Good choice Andy, speaking from the point of view that I have 22 string harp and 26 string harp I think you will find that the extra 5 strings make a BIG difference.

    in reply to: What digital recorder? #70919
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    There is alot of truth in that. And you can get those cassette to usb upload gadgets these days for about $40 just in case you wanted to upload the recording to computer and play around with it.

    in reply to: What digital recorder? #70915
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    I have a Zoom H4 which I highly recommend for price and features although its a little fiddly to use (the newer H4n may be more friendly). H2 is probably cheaper and better for your purposes.

    in reply to: Recording Harp #147146
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Kent,

    Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate that everybody here may not like what I do or think I’m a hack or whatever, but I figure if I can do anything to entertain or inform or make somebody get into the harp or harp music, then thats a good thing.

    regards Adam

    in reply to: Recording Harp #147144
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Saul, I forgot to talk about micing options in the video, I sort of did it on the fly without a script so I missed a few things out.

    I am fortunate in that the room I record in is large with a vaulted ceiling. Quite often I will use the natural reverb of the room, placing multiple microphones around the room and mixing the sources to taste.

    I was working during the day on this project and there was some traffic noise outside making the extra mics a less desirable option so I opted for the simple stereo option. Quite often I will use just one mic if the harp just needs to come from some pinpoint in the mix.

    I’m still experimenting with the setup that I’ve got, I’d like to try hanging some mics from the ceiling but I’m a tad wary of heights.

    Thanks for taking the time to look and comment, any ideas on the subject are most welcome.

    adam

    in reply to: Two harp teachers at the same time? #83058
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    This could be a great thing or a terrible thing depending on the teachers and what aspects they are covering.

    I was teaching an 11 year old boy guitar and his mother decided to take him to another teacher as well (nothing against me, but two teachers are better than one, right?). I spent the next 3 lessons explaining to the kid the other teachers stuff, because he wasn’t getting it.

    After the third session like that, I said “hey your other teacher is doing such a great job, you don’t need me any more”.

    I can see that it could work though, and in a period where I was doing serious piano study, I had two different teachers with great success. They were both covering very different ground though.

    I would say, as long as you are happy and getting somewhere you should go for it.

    regards, adam

    in reply to: Fastest way to learn the Harp? #82992
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Reminded me a bit of those Expert Village videos on YouTube Kreig.

    in reply to: Recording Harp #147142
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Thanks for those of you who have sent me positive feedback on this. I will make another one eventually covering different headphone options and using situations where you would use one, verses two or more microphones and different mic placement options.

    in reply to: Buzzing problem – can you help? #71073
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Anja,

    You are certainly not having much luck getting some help with this.

    Maybe you should get this:

    http://www.harpcenter.com/product/trouble-shooting-lever-harp-book/harp-gifts-under-thirty-dollars

    I don’t have a copy, but I have read it and seem to remember it was very good and it says that it has a section on buzzing.

    good luck

    adam

    in reply to: How many pieces can you play right off the bat? #156900
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Oh yeah, he’s a charmer alright.

    in reply to: How many pieces can you play right off the bat? #156898
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Well I thought you were a bit keen wanting to come out and have a look. Finished the video with your friend:

    in reply to: Video – harp with cardboard soundbox #105137
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Ok thanks for the clarification Michael on the Waring harp. As I play out alot, I get many enquiries from people wanting to know where they can get a harp, how much, what skills they need etc (not alot of options where I am).

    I have a musicmakers harp I use with Jordan levers. The sustain seems to be more of an issue the higher the note is pitched. So I replaced the Jordans in the upper half with musicmakers “Universal” lever. They sound better, but more costly and I don’t find them to be as easy to flip on the go as the Jordans.

    Perhaps Jordans may be suitable on this harp because there is less string tension? I’m not up with the science of it all I’m afraid.

    adam

    in reply to: How many pieces can you play right off the bat? #156896
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Sharon,

    I live in a farming community called Goomalling (it means place of possums – needless to say, no possums here). I drive about an hour to the nearest tourist towns to perform (places like York, Toodyay and Bakers Hill). Some periods of the year I will load up the van and go further afield in Western Australia.

    You can check out the CDs at my website http://www.AdamBHarris.net/music or at CD Baby http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/AdamBHarris.

    Although I don’t play a piece the same way twice, I generally play them in the same keys in which they are written (if I know it). If its a casual request that I haven’t played before, I usually play them in G, pretty much because many songs are written in G and there is a good chance it could be the real key!

    If you are looking at developing things to do with your left hand, there is that excellent technical excercise book by Deborah Friou that you can get on ebay, also a book called Cool Chords and Groovy Rhythms (or something like that) by Valerie Schermer. I think Ray Pool does some books on this kind of thing as well that I haven’t seen but come recommended highly.

    Working on a video over the next couple of days for people interested in what techniques I use in recording the harp. Was thinking of posting a link on the “professional” board as questions often come up there about microphones and such. And who knows, your friend may make a guest appearance.

    have a good weekend

    adam

    in reply to: Video – harp with cardboard soundbox #105135
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Michael,

    I have a harp that has some Jordan levers (others I have replaced). I am not a big fan. On the plus side they don’t cost much and are easy to find and flip during a piece. They are also reasonably durable despite a flimsy appearance.

    The problem I have with them is that they don’t sound particularly good when they are engaged and certainly don’t give the note alot of sustain which is probably my biggest worry.

    If the main purpose of buying the harp (this is a “Waring” harp isn’t it?) is as a bridging instrument to see if you have sufficient skills/interest then it may not be so much of an issue.

    Can levers be added after the event to the instrument, or do you need to install them while putting it together?

    Great demo clip, and great sounding little harp. I don’t know if its pretty enough cosmetically to use on a gig, but I’m sure this instrument will find a place in many homes.

    cheers

    adam

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 133 total)