harpcolumn

Buzzing problem – can you help?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Buzzing problem – can you help?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anja G
    Participant

Hello,

as Adam suggested

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Anja,

You are certainly not having much luck getting some help with this.

Maybe you should get this:

http://www.harpcenter.com/product/trouble-shooting-lever-harp-book/harp-gifts-under-thirty-dollars

I don’t have a copy, but I have read it and seem to remember it was very good and it says that it has a section on buzzing.

good luck

adam

dave-lynch
    Participant

Tracking down a buzz can be very tedious sometimes so first let me ask you some questions:

You wrote:

I tried to move/shift the metal pieces that holds the knots of the
    strings a little bit, but this does only work for a couple of minutes,
    then the buzzing starts again.

I’m not sure what you meant here.

Anja G
    Participant

Adam,

Anja G
    Participant

Dear Dave,

I can only say a big THANK YOU for taking your time and writing such a detailed and interesting answer. I will keep this for future (and for times when hopefully I will perhaps have my own pedal harp).

Unfortunately the buzz occurs whether the lever is up or down. Mostly the lower strings are producing the buzz, I don`t have the problem with the upper strings. I

Anja, When you wrote “metal pieces that holds the knots of the strings” and “metal strings in the lower octaves,” were you referring to metal washers that your carpenter acquaintance installed between the bottom knot of the bass strings

Anja, if you stay with playing harp, since you mentioned the possibility of a pedal harp some day, there is a wonderful book, “Affairs of the Harp”,

Anja G
    Participant

Patricia,

sorry for not explaining everything very clearly, it`s because English is not my mother tongue… .
    My harp has no washers, but the string anchors are in fact little metal pieces – I didn`t know you could also take a used gut string! Thanks for letting me know all this, now I can talk to the maker of the harp again!
    And I am also very interested in the book you recommended, I will try to get a copy over here and hope I`ll understand everything!
    Thanks a lot
    Anja

dave-lynch
    Participant

Hi Anja

OK….if the string is buzzing when the lever is both up and down the first place I would look is still at the lever.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.