Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
adam-b-harris
ParticipantThanks Sylvia, the tune won’t or the execution won’t be winning any Grammy’s I don’t think, but I’ve made a resolution this year to write and record more of my own things.
I thought that the video would be interest to forum people as most members seem to be north american and I wouldn’t imagine that there would be many places like this there, there is no macdonalds – no nothing, its fairly isolated compared to rest of the world. Like if it was in the US I’m sure that there would be ferris wheels, mini golf, resorts and all sorts of things built up and around. Or maybe thats just an impression I’m getting from watching too much TV again…….
adam-b-harris
ParticipantIf you having problems with “one off” extraneous noises you can use a program like Sony Acid to seemlessly stitch together alternate takes of a recording (provided you are recording with a click track). If its too noisy where you are for that to be an option, maybe take a weekend drive into the country and find a room somewhere.
Paying for studio time is also a great option, the cost of recording solo harp is miniscule compared to that of making a rock record (I take it you don’t wish to make a rock record) as there isn’t much to mic up.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantGreat article Ann, thanks for getting this. Coincidence it should come out around the same time I’m asking about it eh? Probably in those days orchestral players wouldn’t have been used to working with rock guys and vice versa.
She sounds pretty fresh and on the ball on the take though. You wouldn’t have known from listening to it that she was probably thinking, I wish I was home in bed or anywhere else except here.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantAwesome post, thanks John for your knowledge. I should have thought about the tape head thing, I have a Revox B77 sitting next to the computer staring me right in the face. Amazing what they did with virtually no equipment, kids today got it easy.
Will check out the recordings.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantYou did that at a retirement home gig? Awesome.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantIts just such an ugly, ugly sound.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantI have a Limerick in walnut that I use in day to day gigs. Its a great harp. I don’t think it sounds as nice as my Ravenna (which is portable but far too big probably for what you want), but it has a great sound and projection for the size (its louder than the Ravenna).
I have played a harpsicle, but didn’t really like the tone of it. Having said that, I seem to remember it was smaller than the limerick and might do well for a travel harp. If you are going to do any performing with it at all, I would go the Limerick.
Musicmakers staff seem very nice and there are guarantees on their site that you can put it together yourself. I didn’t trust myself and had it premade.
The lap bar that they make as an accessory is a good investment and I can imagine it being able to be used on other harps.
Here is a video of me breaking a string on one at a gig last night:
adam-b-harris
ParticipantHannah,
The Limerick is a great little harp for the price, I have the nylon string version, not the wire one. I believe the limerick uses steel strings instead of the brass usually associated with wire strung harps.
I’ve of the school of thought that there is no one “correct” way to play a musical instrument, however, with a wire harp I believe you should really be looking at playing with your nails rather than your fingertips because 1) it won’t sound that good 2) it will probably hurt.
Wire harp is such a rare thing that most people would find it difficult to get hold of a teacher nearby. Some may offer skype though so maybe check that option out. Given your background, I’m sure you would be able to play a tune on a wire instrument straight away. Just to get it to sound great, you need to get a handle on the string spacing (although the limerick spacing would be the same as their nylon instrument), playing with your nails and muting techniques.
I feel that the small amount of playing that I have done on wire (comparitively) has helped my harp playing enormously.
Good luck with it – adam
adam-b-harris
ParticipantHave sent you an email.
adam-b-harris
ParticipantI have a shure sm57 that I just stick inside the back of my floor harp. Reliable and works great. For my lapharp I use a fishman transducer and preamp. Works ok too, a bit more of a hassle as you are dealing with batteries. Just about anything will do the trick, provided its not too cheap.
adam
adam-b-harris
ParticipantIf your worship band has a spare mic lying around try mounting it on a small mic stand in front of you and see how that works for you. Might save you some dollars.
adam
adam-b-harris
ParticipantNot exactly a strange conducting story but worth a look if you haven’t already seen it…..
http://www2.choralnet.org/268945.html
cheers
adam
adam-b-harris
ParticipantAlison,
I live about 2 hours away from you in Goomalling. Last year I had William MacDonald from Skye make a small 22 string wire strung harp for me. It ended up costing about $1000 by the time I got it here. You are welcome to come up and have a look and play and see what you think. The problem with getting ANY sort of harp to Perth is the transport cost. I have a Limerick as well (but with nylon strings) so you can see what that is about.
regards
adam
adam-b-harris
ParticipantThanks ever so much for all your help. I’ve managed to lay my hands on a copy.
cheers
adam
adam-b-harris
ParticipantNo they haven’t thanks Jessica. I haven’t been given any information at all really. However, I just remembered a midi file search engine I used to use years ago and did a search there and it seems to be throwing up the same tune all the time. So I have emailed them a copy for them to confirm or deny. Hopefully its the same tune.
-
AuthorPosts