adam-b-harris

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Linkedin.com #147227
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    I just thought I saw a tumbleweed roll through here.

    in reply to: Buzzing problem – please, do you have tips for me? #105106
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Anja,

    Try replacing one of the buzzing strings and see if that makes a difference.

    I’m looking at buying a pedal harp myself, but need to sell an investment property I have first to finance it. So it may be a while coming as real estate is a little slow here, like most everywhere else I suppose.

    So you really need to be talking to someone else like maybe the very knowledgeable Carl Swanson or someone like that.

    Again I’d suggest that you repost on the Harps and Accessories or Professional Harpists section, somebody should be able to help you out there.

    all the best

    adam

    in reply to: How many pieces can you play right off the bat? #156892
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Sharon, you asked for my input so now I”m here. I didn’t reply to this when I first saw it as I figured it didn’t really apply to me so I’m not sure what I can tell you will be much help to you,

    in reply to: Linkedin.com #147226
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    I just joined a couple of days ago and can’t comment as yet. I love the idea of the whole thing though, and welcome any harpist here who would like to connect with me.

    They have a couple of harp groups there too.

    cheers adam

    in reply to: The most stupid I’ve felt in quite some time. #105175
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    @Jessica, the small one is a whistle in D made by Alba, the big one is a low D whistle also made by Alba, very easy to play I assure you and they both sound lovely particular the low one.

    @Robin, I’m so glad I made your heart feel happy, we all need more of that. I must admit though, watching Sam K’s Legende video just then made me feel very small…. As long as it put something into your day, thats the main thing.

    regards adam

    in reply to: The most stupid I’ve felt in quite some time. #105172
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    He he, big 70s tie, good one.

    in reply to: The most stupid I’ve felt in quite some time. #105170
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Like a caveman guy you mean Sharon? I will take that on board,

    in reply to: Buzzing problem – please, do you have tips for me? #105104
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Sorry Anja, I spelt your name wrong. Early in the morning here.

    in reply to: Buzzing problem – please, do you have tips for me? #105103
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Anje,

    Sounds like your harp needs some sort of regulating. As you are hiring it, I suggest you approach whoever you are hiring it from and ask them to look into it.

    As to what is causing it, it could be a number of things. Buzzes can be frustrating in that they quite often the buzzing sound appears to be coming from one part of the harp and the actual problem is somewhere else on the instrument.

    If you would like more specific advice, I suggest you repost on the “harps and accesories” board, together with details of what type of harp it is (floor, lapharp – did the maker follow a plan of an established brand, or is it made from a kit etc). Also any details on levers and bridgepins would be useful.

    In the end though, if you are only hiring and it isn’t yours, then you probably shouldn’t be making any serious adjustments to it.

    hope this helps

    adam

    in reply to: The most stupid I’ve felt in quite some time. #105168
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Jennifer, in a true video song like the Pomplamoose videos, what you see is actually what you are hearing, ie you

    in reply to: The most stupid I’ve felt in quite some time. #105166
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Thanks Anje,

    It was recorded on the same Limerick lap harp that I am miming with badly in the video. I only bought it for doing performance work but then people started to say when they were buying CDs that they wanted to hear recordings played on the same instrument that they were seeing (not an unreasonable request). I’m surprised that the instrument sounds as nice as it does.

    I will make sure that there is less nudity in future posts.

    adam

    in reply to: other musical influences #147423
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    Eliza for great use of harp off an early EJ song, check out “Come Down in Time” from the album “Tumbleweed Connection”. Great use of small ensemble and first time I recall hearing a harp used in pop music (granted, harp has been used lots of times before that, its just the first time I had heard and noticed it and thought that it sounded cool).

    in reply to: The most stupid I’ve felt in quite some time. #105164
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    @Rod thanks for checking it out.

    @Jessica, I am on first name terms with the naked man and he thinks he is very pretty, mind you he may be delusional.

    @Saul, big compliment coming from you.

    in reply to: other musical influences #147420
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    This will probably sound a bit low brow, but Elton John. I play a lot of pop type stuff live and the arpeggiated rhythm fills that he used to use on many of his earlier records seem to transfer to harp well.

    in reply to: Learning to play blues on the harp #83096
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

    If you are interested in sitting in with other players at blues sessions its a good idea to get familiar with playing in E and A because blues is historically a guitar type thing and they like to play in sharp keys. I wouldn’t say F and Bb are a waste of time, particularly if you intend on playing with horn players but best to concentrate on the sharp keys.

    Google “open mic night” and “your town/district” hopefully you can find a session near you.

    good luck, adam

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 133 total)