harpcolumn

Recording Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Recording Harp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

For those of you that are interested in recording, I’ve posted a video on YouTube going through the processes I use to make my harp recordings. Certainly not the be all and end all but just how I am doing it, at the moment. The video is made for musicians and not recording engineers and pretty much assumes no knowledge.

Hope you get something out of it,

adam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgSq5BpKmkQ

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Thanks for those of you who have sent me positive feedback on this. I will make another one eventually covering different headphone options and using situations where you would use one, verses two or more microphones and different mic placement options.

I firmly believe that a harp should be recorded in a warm, lively room with a high ceiling, and a microphone placed in the room, not near the harp.

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Saul, I forgot to talk about micing options in the video, I sort of did it on the fly without a script so I missed a few things out.

I am fortunate in that the room I record in is large with a vaulted ceiling. Quite often I will use the natural reverb of the room, placing multiple microphones around the room and mixing the sources to taste.

I was working during the day on this project and there was some traffic noise outside making the extra mics a less desirable option so I opted for the simple stereo option. Quite often I will use just one mic if the harp just needs to come from some pinpoint in the mix.

I’m still experimenting with the setup that I’ve got, I’d like to try hanging some mics from the ceiling but I’m a tad wary of heights.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment, any ideas on the subject are most welcome.

adam

kent-vogel
    Participant

Adam, You are way cool! May I strongly encourage you in all your efforts. I have my own ideas about the harp, but isn’t that what life is all about(?), new ideas.

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Kent,

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate that everybody here may not like what I do or think I’m a hack or whatever, but I figure if I can do anything to entertain or inform or make somebody get into the harp or harp music, then thats a good thing.

regards Adam

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies