harpcolumn

Video – harp with cardboard soundbox

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Video – harp with cardboard soundbox

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi to everyone,

Here’s a video of me playing the “Fireside Harp,” sold by Backyard music.

deb-l
    Participant

that sounded amazing!

Tony G

Thank you so much for posting this! I ordered one a few days ago and I can’t wait for it to arrive. 🙂

I needed something cheap to practice on between lessons (total beginner here) and this one has such a nice sound for the price.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Deb, thanks!

Tony-Some additional info.

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Michael,

I have a harp that has some Jordan levers (others I have replaced). I am not a big fan. On the plus side they don’t cost much and are easy to find and flip during a piece. They are also reasonably durable despite a flimsy appearance.

The problem I have with them is that they don’t sound particularly good when they are engaged and certainly don’t give the note alot of sustain which is probably my biggest worry.

If the main purpose of buying the harp (this is a “Waring” harp isn’t it?) is as a bridging instrument to see if you have sufficient skills/interest then it may not be so much of an issue.

Can levers be added after the event to the instrument, or do you need to install them while putting it together?

Great demo clip, and great sounding little harp. I don’t know if its pretty enough cosmetically to use on a gig, but I’m sure this instrument will find a place in many homes.

cheers

adam

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Adam, Too bad about the Jordan levers-lack of sustain is an obvious dealbreaker.

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Ok thanks for the clarification Michael on the Waring harp. As I play out alot, I get many enquiries from people wanting to know where they can get a harp, how much, what skills they need etc (not alot of options where I am).

I have a musicmakers harp I use with Jordan levers. The sustain seems to be more of an issue the higher the note is pitched. So I replaced the Jordans in the upper half with musicmakers “Universal” lever. They sound better, but more costly and I don’t find them to be as easy to flip on the go as the Jordans.

Perhaps Jordans may be suitable on this harp because there is less string tension? I’m not up with the science of it all I’m afraid.

adam

Tony G

Mine just arrived, and I am somewhat considering taking pictures of the construction process… would anyone be interested in seeing that, or would it be a waste of time? 🙂

I’ve been burning with curiosity since I first heard about cardboard soundboxes, but I don’t know if anyone else shares my curiosity? 😉

Sharon O
    Participant

Hey Tony, I’m so excited for you!

I think putting your experiences online here would be valuable, because it would give the rest of us some helpful input to people who hear us play and want a harp, but are immediately put off by the price.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.