harpcolumn

Nylgut Strings by Aquila

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Nylgut Strings by Aquila

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    balfour-knight
    Participant

I had time to look up a suitable scale for the 4th and 5th octaves:

4E–1.24mm
    4D–1.28
    4C–1.40 Red
    4B–1.45
    4A–1.50
    4G–1.60
    4F–1.70 Black

5E–1.80mm
    5D–1.90
    5C–2.00 Red
    5B–2.00 or 2.20 (Aquila does not list 2.10)
    5A–2.20 (Aquila does not list 2.30. They do list 2.40, but this would be “heavy gauge.”)

balfour-knight
    Participant

Sid, I know that you have said in the past that you have nylons on your L&H 23 down through the third octave, since they are “brighter” than the gut. These new Nylguts sound like gut, but ring out longer. They do not have the bright nylon sound, but I can pluck them more strongly than nylon, giving a great sound up there in the treble. When I would pluck the former nylons strongly, I did not like the resulting “explosive” sound, which you don’t get with the nylguts. On the other hand, these new nylguts can be played softly, producing that “to die for” gut-strung harp sound. The nylguts are capable of a wide range of dynamics and expression. You don’t have to adjust your plucking technique when you go from the real gut up into the nylgut, and the nylguts stay in tune, requiring very little adjustment. Mine only took 2 or 3 days to acclimate on the harp, and have not stretched very much since then. They run about $3.50 each, with enough length to make two or three strings in the treble, so you automatically have spares. The larger gauges cost a little more, of course.

Hope this helps.

Harp Hugs and best wishes,
    Balfour

balfour-knight
    Participant

Note to Lever Harpists:

If you are planning to use the New Nylgut (NGH) strings on your lever harp, you need to use smaller gauges than what I have posted here for standard pedal harps. I recommend using one gauge smaller in the First Octave, two gauges smaller in the Second Octave, and three gauges smaller in the Third, Fourth, and Fifth Octaves. You will need to specify “red C’s and black F’s.”

The exception to this would be if you have a lever harp with standard pedal harp stringing, such as a L&H Prelude. Also, on lever-gut stringing charts for most lever harps, such as Dusty Strings, you can just use the same gauge for the New Nylgut (NGH) that they recommend for real gut. If you have a gauge for a real gut string, and that exact gauge is not available in Nylgut, just use the next available gauge smaller in Nylgut. That way, you will not be putting too much tension and strain on your harp.

If you have nylon strings and want to convert to New Nylgut, Aquila USA will help you do the conversions. Nylgut gauges are smaller than nylon for the same note, just like real gut.

I hope this information is helpful.

Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

balfour-knight
    Participant

For lever harpists, I will post a suggested scale, at least a place to start, with the New Nylgut NGH strings by Aquila. The following scale would also work as a “light-tension” alternative for Pedal Harp. If your lever harp uses Lever Gut strings, just go by that stringing chart. Nylgut is the same density and scale as real gut. If converting from nylon, check with Aquila to get the formula! Remember, do not use thicker gauges than your harp can stand!

0G–.42
    0F–.44 Black
    1E–.46mm
    1D–.48
    1C–.50 Red
    1B–.52
    1A–.54
    1G–.56
    1F–.60 Black
    2E–.62
    2D–.66
    2C–.68 Red
    2B–.70
    2A–.76
    2G–.79
    2F–.82 Black
    3E–.85
    3D–.88
    3C–.91 Red
    3B–.94
    3A–.97
    3G–1.00mm
    3F–1.08 Black
    4E–1.12
    4D–1.16
    4C–1.20 Red
    4B–1.24
    4A–1.28
    4G–1.40
    4F–1.45 Black
    5E–1.50mm
    5D–1.60
    5C–1.70 Red
    5B–1.80
    5A–1.90mm

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies