unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,441 through 1,455 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: You Tube #104211
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The recording is not the greatest…but I love it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkk5YXXWgr8

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zB1xZi8is

    Karin

    in reply to: Music you personally dislike, but still respect #110743
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Interesting topic. I tend to gravitate more toward “progressive” styles, be they rock, jazz, contemporary… I like unpredictable music that catches me off guard. I tend to dislike traditional “chamber” music for this reason, and most pieces by Mozart. Granted the guy was talented, but I find his stuff rather boring. What really excites me musically are composers like Alan Sylvestri (soundtrack from the movie The Abyss) and rock/metal bands like Rush and Dream Theater. I do like Celtic music on occasion but can only take it in small doses. If I can predict the rest of the song after hearing the first 3 chords, I tune it out.

    in reply to: Right Hand Harmonics #162705
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl –

    I completely understand what you are saying about the differences between instruments. My harp is terrible at producing harmonics: many times they are inaudible. On the other hand the harp I play in my teacher’s studio is great a producing harmonics. In fact my harp is a Salvi while my teacher’s is a Lyon and Healy. Has anyone noticed a difference in harmonic quality between harp types?

    in reply to: Right Hand Harmonics #162703
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have to say, Jennifer, that it makes much more sense to be able to play right hand harmonics better than left hand ones – I suppose it is because your hand doesnt obstruct the view of the string. It’s just for some strange reason, whenever I go to play harmonics in my right hand, the sound is almost never crisp; there is always more of a “thud” rather than a bell-like sound.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Erard Harp with Original Wooden Shipping Case #71410
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I also have a Sebastian Erard Harp patent #6445 for which I’m looking for information. From what I’ve researched so far it was manufactured between 1811 and 1829. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I’m also willing to entertain offers on it. It is in good condition. Needs little restoration.

    in reply to: Right Hand Harmonics #162700
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’ve never heard of executing a left hand harmonic like a right hand one – however a year or two ago my teacher told me that one of her new students, who had been playing around with her new found technique of harmonics, decided to play the harmonic with her index finger. Amazingly it seemed to work just as well as a normal harmonic. This would probably increase the range of harmonics upwards on both hands because it changes the position of your hand to “point” upwards rather than downward, which can cause some problems in the wrist.

    in reply to: How did you afford your first harp?? #110627
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I started out thinking I would buy an inexpensive harp–knowing nothing, I

    unknown-user
    Participant

    Actually, there are two recordings that I would recommend by Judy Loman.

    “The Genius of Salzedo” CD has her playing the Pescetti – dazzlingly fast. And there is also

    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Hannah ~

    If finding the professional recordings is a problem there are some amateur recordings on youtube. Here are the one I could find:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys0-OL-c3QI

    in reply to: How did you afford your first harp?? #110625
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Absolutely right, Jennifer, but a school band might not have the chops to do arrangements

    in reply to: How did you afford your first harp?? #110622
    unknown-user
    Participant

    If they don’t welcome you to play in your school’s band, they should. Here in the states, the pressure to march has delayed the welcome of the string bass and harp to the wind ensemble, but there is plenty of historical support for having both.

    Your bigger problem, once you get yourself in, is what they’ll give you to play if there is no part for harp written in the score, and encouraging the conductor to look at pieces that are scored for harp.

    It may be slow, but you’ll be a wind ensemble pioneer.

    By the way, my conception of the harp I wnated a year ago is completely different from what I’m looking for now, so my stash is still safe. For now.

    in reply to: Harp Theory Book #162771
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I would agree to Tony’s suggestion. Sylvia’s book is not complete if you really want to go to real theory.

    in reply to: Music Notation question #86695
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks, that sounds like an excellent reference to have.

    in reply to: Proper Position??? #86688
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks so much to all of you. I really appreciate the advice – it helps a lot!

    Barb

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102784
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I was there too, and I really liked this piece… I thought it was very touching.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,441 through 1,455 (of 5,570 total)