column

Proper Position???

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Proper Position???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi. I’m hoping someone will help me. I’m playing bass octaves open handed, and I’m not sure if I’m doing it right (I’ve never done this before). Should I use 1-4 fingering or 1-3? It seems like I always overreach when I try 1-4. My lesson isn’t until next week, and my teacher is unavailable, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Barb

unknown-user
    Participant

Ooops – sorry this question posted twice. It looked as if it hadn’t been posted, so I tried again!

The thing I would suggest is to make sure that your elbow is dropped.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

FWIW, the current thinking on this generally seems to be that it’s okay to use either 3 or 4 as long as you don’t use both, but there are some schools of playing that are stricter than others about which is acceptable.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

as you don’t use both = as long as you don’t use both

zoraida-avila
    Participant

Barb,

For begining in the bass octaves practice, is better to play them with all fingers you can. Is the second one is so longer than others you can use all 3. The most important matter is to place the hand flat and relaxed on the strings and play closing it completely. When you have learned the gesture you will be able to play the octaves with one or another finger. I hope it helps you. Good luck!

Zoraida

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks so much to all of you. I really appreciate the advice – it helps a lot!

Barb

diane-michaels
    Spectator

Along with the dropped elbow, there is an angle to the hand that helps with octaves in the open position.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.