harpcolumn

Erard Harp with Original Wooden Shipping Case

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Erard Harp with Original Wooden Shipping Case

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I have an early to mid 19th century Sebastian Erard 43 string harp I will sell for $4,500. Please email me if you are interested and I will send you photos. I am located in Columbus Ohio if you want to look at it. Thanks! Dave

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks for this info…I will see if I can find it tonight and post it later on.

unknown-user
    Participant

I also have a Sebastian Erard Harp patent #6445 for which I’m looking for information. From what I’ve researched so far it was manufactured between 1811 and 1829. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I’m also willing to entertain offers on it. It is in good condition. Needs little restoration.

unknown-user
    Participant

Dear Nina

Yes, just hold it and lay it down so that the base it normaly stands on
    is in a right angle to the floor. To see the date you don’t need to
    take the bottom of the base off (the part the harp stands on). A few
    inches inside it is the inner base (where the pedals are fixed) and on
    this you should see the date. Sometimes it is the year only, sometimes
    month and year and with my Erard it is the full date: 16.4.1923.

Denise

unknown-user
    Participant

Sorry to bother everyone – but just in case someone is interested – that Erat harp has appeared again on ebay… Here’s the new link for it…

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-1800s-HARP-by-J-ERAT_W0QQitemZ250288703962QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250288703962&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It definitely needs work – but just in case someone is looking for one…

Kind regards, William

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

and it looks like it didnt sell but was listed again.

Peter Hoogenboom
    Participant

I just got an Erard harp gothic style, the inscribtion says:

Sebastian & Pierre Erard

18, Marlborough street No 6691

Does anyone know when this harp was build? There’s no date or anything in it.

Janne-Minke

unknown-user
    Participant

I also have an Erard harp with the

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

you could try asking someone on the antiquepedalharp yahoo group.

unknown-user
    Participant

Dear Richard.I am wondering if you have sold your SEBASTIAN ERARD HARP .I have a chance to buy one.Please let me know how much did it go for.Thanks.mark.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Mark- I bought Richard’s Erard harp. I placed the winning bid on Ebay. The only reason I was willing to bid on it is that I had a chance to go examine it in person before it went up on Ebay. I wasn’t absolutely sure that I would be able to make it playable without massive amounts of work. But at least I knew for certain that there was no worm damage, that all of the parts and decoration were there and in good condition, and that the action, while it could barely move, was not rusted.

As it turned out, I was able to get the action working like new again without having to take it apart, I spent several thousand more to have my gilder do conservation work on it: basically, solidifying and reattaching all of the plaster decoration and some minor touch up. I managed(with my heart in my throat the whole time!) to regulate it perfectly, and while my gilder was working on the column, I restored the finish on the body shell, which was very badly alligatored and crackled.

Had I not been able to examine it first hand myself I would never have bid on it. Pictures simply don’t convey the technical information I need to make an assessment. If I were you I’d be very very careful about buying this one. The best would be to have a qualified technician look at it for you. If you do buy it, I strongly advise you to send it to someone like Howard Bryan or myself to put it into working order, even if it does not need any major restoration(neck and soundboard).

I paid $6,000 for mine. I paid my gilder another $2,500 for her work, and the finish repair I did would have been charged to a client at around $1,500 to $2,000(including taking the instrument apart and putting it back together again). The regulation of an Erard is nothing like regulating a 20th century instrument. NOTHING!!! It can take days, and at any time you can break or jam something that complicates the job terribly. While I charge $160 to regulate a 20th century harp at my shop, I would have to charge a client $600 to $800 to regulate an Erard. And that’s with nothing breaking or jamming. So you see, I paid in cash and labor, about $12,000 for mine. But to me it’s worth it. All of the parts are in like new condition, including the soundboard. It plays beautifully and has a gorgeous sound, unlike any 20th century harp. And I have since found out that it was completed on May 6, 1892. So it’s an original 1892 Paris Erard Gothique.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi.Does anybody knows the value of SEBASTIAN ERARD HARP ?.Thanks

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Carl.Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. I am not a harp player I play an accustic guitar.I just see an opportunity to make some money may be to buy a better guitar.I can email you some pictures of that harp may be that would give you a little better clue.Please let me know if that is ok and what I would have to pay more attention for.Thanks.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Mark- Don’t buy this to make some money. it won’t work. It won’t be worth the money you have to pay. You can do that with 20th century instruments, but not 19th century harps.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Carl.I have got some picks of the

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies