harpcolumn

Harp Theory Book

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harp Theory Book

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jean-mac
    Participant

I do have Sylvia Woods’ book on Harp Theory, but does anyone have any other harp theory books you recommend.

Ray Pool has several really good books:

tony-morosco
    Participant

I like Ray Pool’s books too. I also like Verlene Shermer’s Cool Chords and Groovy Rhythms.

But if I were you I wouldn’t worry too much about specific Harp Theory and take a look at some general music theory books. They will all apply just as well. Edly’s Music Theory for Practical People is one of the best introductions to music theory I have read.

Also the Complete Idiot’s Guide series of books has a lot of great music related books. Just ignore the titles. Their books on Music Theory, Arranging and Orchestration, Solos and Improvisations and a few others are really great introductions to the subject of not just theory but applying theory to practical ends.

Sylvia’s book is a great introduction and is good if you play the folk harp since she mostly ignores things that are not applicable to the folk harp, or gives ways to get around things that don’t normally work for folk harp. However getting a more general knowledge of music theory while keeping in mind the kinds of limitations and workarounds Sylvia teaches can only be beneficial. Particularly if you ever want to play with other musicians. In that case having a more general understanding of music theory can help you understand the issues facing other instruments and makes you better prepared to work with them.

jean-mac
    Participant

Thanks for your suggestions. Greatly appreciated. Jean

unknown-user
    Participant

I would agree to Tony’s suggestion. Sylvia’s book is not complete if you really want to go to real theory.

I like my students to use a theory book for harp that requires write-in answers, so that using their pencils right in the book proves they know the material just presented. Then I have them play the short examples they wrote, to connect the aural to the visual and the tactile memory.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies