unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: You Tube #104225
    unknown-user
    Participant
    Dear Helen,
    I am the harp teacher who produced this video. The answer is absolutely YES for some people.

    Just as each person is unique, there are many approaches to teaching and learning. The reason for the approach that I chose
    in the video was to demonstrate that learning the harp need not be a daunting endeavor. Many of my students in person here
    in WA, and online via Skype, are seeking a form of stress relief. The harp represents that peace.
    And the music I recorded was
    created to offer this peace.

    With all of my individual private students, I customize the approach and incorporate cross-sensory experience, pitch/ear training,
    music theory and technique, building on their strengths, and honoring their challenges. Most of them are brand new to music,
    and become motivated because they may otherwise be intimidated by strict conventional methods. Many of them are "survivors"
    of piano recitals or other harp teachers who told them they would "never learn to play the harp." Many of my students have
    physical and emotional challenges. My background as a professional therapeutic harpist and social worker support them as
    they learn at their own pace, in customized sessions.

    The goal I have for my students is to be honored by the pace and methods we use, to experience something in their lives that
    does not add, but rather reduces stress, and to give them confidence and joy. Many of them choose the Harpsicle in their choice
    of natural maple or color, and students resonate with their color of choice, and express the love they have for their instrument,
    spending more time in their hearts than in their heads.

    I appreciate the comments and informative content provided by Cynthy Johnson. I honor all teachers and students. And,
    in Introductory Sessions I am quick to refer prospective students to others who may be a better match for style, goals,
    and personality.

    My students do learn basic technique and become as proficient as they wish. You may read comments by my students and my
    bio to get a sense of the heart-centered approach I use in teaching and in supporting my students.

    There is a new DVD for learning basics on the harp which is quite good. But, as most harpers and instructors will attest, it is
    important to have some support, either in person or online, to reinforce the concepts presented.

    Very best wishes to you in learning and loving the harp!

    Sincerely,
    Christine Grace Magnussen
    Holistic Harmony/HarpSpirit

    peacecalm.com
    HarpSpirit.com


    in reply to: Pointer Finger Player #161810
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I was surprised to see so many responses, and such great input – thanks!

    Since making the decision to work on this, I have gone completely cold turkey and its funny because I am learning so much about my deficiencies its not even funny! I have done maybe about

    in reply to: Pointer Finger Player #161802
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh, don’t be sorry, you have been immensely helpful, as have all the other people responding.

    in reply to: Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say? #160116
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Wow! This is like the question that never goes away. It must be over a year ago I started this string. Thanks to all you people for your input. As I mentioned, long ago I have since bought a used L+H (got a gig with it tomorrow for that matter) and another high-end small harp. However, I was playing an old

    in reply to: Pointer Finger Player #161800
    unknown-user
    Participant

    andy, how long did it take you after learning proper fingering to feel that you were in your comfort zone with it?

    in reply to: Pointer Finger Player #161799
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, I am always looking at that right hand.

    in reply to: Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say? #160115
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am no expert on harps at all, as I am a real newbie and am learning on a simple Harpsicle.

    I can tell you that I battled this same issue in my mind of almost a year before buying the harpsicle.

    in reply to: Pointer Finger Player #161795
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you Tony.

    The thing is there is a big payoff with being able to play things quickly via this cheating, and I have been unable to move on from it.

    in reply to: Pointer Finger Player #161793
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Wow, thanks for responding so quickly, I didn’t expect that!

    Interesting what you said about the old timers, I thought it was the other way around … but then again, I do remember reading about the pinkie amputations, so

    in reply to: Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say? #160114
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I once owned a early Caswell harp that I loved, but did not learn to play well because of many reasons of which I will not bore you. Had to sell it to keep on a

    in reply to: The down side of a piano background #85956
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I started piano at the age of 5, and started harp when I was a sophomore in high school, and I have to say that I also have not had any trouble with conflicting technique.

    Now, when I actually think about what my right hand is doing in terms of switching its direction of play, I’m amazed that it seems to just happen without any act of my will. Perhaps I had a harp teacher that never ever let me get away with not having my thumb high or not following through over my hands. So I never associated harp technique with piano technique.

    Perhaps your hand position may be adjusted in such a way so that your thumb has to be on top. I don’ t know. But I agree with the others in not feeling

    in reply to: harp carts/dollys #161962
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello.

    in reply to: Who was the harpist in Ricky Ricardo’s orchestra? #104757
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Ann,

    in reply to: How many male harp players are there. #166530
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sorry I dont live in Ontario, its Omaha, in nebraska. Its in the US

    in reply to: Who was the harpist in Ricky Ricardo’s orchestra? #104756
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Eileen, I can’t begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed your post. I am a “late in life” harp beginner, and I cut my musical teeth on many of the musicians you’ve mentioned.

    Your sister was certainly a stand out among all of those rather care worn looking men in Desi’s orchestra. It really was a great sounding group. She had such a twinkle in her eye. I always loved the orchestra’s segments in the show, and it’s all the more fun to watch Nancy now that I know more about her.

    Although most of those wonderful musicians have left us, it’s

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 5,570 total)