harpcolumn

Who was the harpist in Ricky Ricardo’s orchestra?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Who was the harpist in Ricky Ricardo’s orchestra?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Paul! Not as of yet… I’m going to try again this weekend.. I did hear from another member of harp column who gave me a name of a lady in Louisiana that might have known Maryce… I have written to her for further details… I will keep you informed! Thanks for asking! Kind regards – William

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m going to try to embed a photo I found of Desi Arnaz (as Ricky Ricardo) singing alongside the harpist! (my apologies if this doesn’t work – I’m trying to upload a photo for the first time with photobucket…) Kind regards! William

unknown-user
    Participant
    unknown-user
    Participant

Sorry – I can’t get it to load directly… But if you click on the link – you’ll see the pic! Enjoy! Kind regards – William

unknown-user
    Participant

I happened to turn on the old movie channel this morning, and there was Episode #121 of ILL, with a very nice shot of both harpist and harp. She is accompanying Desi singing “The Anniversary Waltz”. I don’t know if THAT is still available, but if so, it’s a terrific song for multi-year sentimental anniversary parties.

The lyrics are quite charming, so although the melody is very pretty, someone really has to sing it to get the full impact.

If someone checks Episode #121 would you please post what kind of harp it is?

unknown-user
    Participant

I was surfing YouTube and happened to find a clip from an I Love Lucy episode that shows a “close-up” of the harpist “in action” with Desi Arnaz (Ricky Ricardo) singing beside her… (please note – you need to watch the entire clip to see the really close-up shots of her playing…). Enjoy!

kay-lister

Just e-mailed my teacher, Becky said the harpist in the I Love Lucy shows was Gayle Levant.

Kay

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Everyone –

Well, it took quite some digging to find out the true identity of this harpist….

unknown-user
    Participant

Here’s an attempt at posting the photo… fingers crossed that it works! Kind regards – William

http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/SteadyEddie_photo/?action=view&current=HollywoodHarpandStringEnsemble1954.jpg

unknown-user
    Participant

I think Gayle Levant is much too young to have played on I love Lucy!

If Nancy Youngman’s husband’s name was Pickering, perhaps Maryce is a daughter.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi,

My name is Eileen McDonald Bolsover.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Thank you so much for clearing up. It sounds like your sister was quite a harpist. Maybe you could tell us a little more about her career. How long did she remain an active professional harpist?

unknown-user
    Participant

Dear Ms. Bolsover

unknown-user
    Participant

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, William and Carl, to thank you for the kind words abut my sister, Nancy Youngman.

unknown-user
    Participant

Eileen, I can’t begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed your post. I am a “late in life” harp beginner, and I cut my musical teeth on many of the musicians you’ve mentioned.

Your sister was certainly a stand out among all of those rather care worn looking men in Desi’s orchestra. It really was a great sounding group. She had such a twinkle in her eye. I always loved the orchestra’s segments in the show, and it’s all the more fun to watch Nancy now that I know more about her.

Although most of those wonderful musicians have left us, it’s

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies