harpcolumn

You Tube

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break You Tube

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    leonard-lim
    Participant

This harpist has one of the best interpretation of Caplet’s Divertissement I have heard so far. 🙂

unknown-user
    Participant
    Dear Helen,
    I am the harp teacher who produced this video. The answer is absolutely YES for some people.

Just as each person is unique, there are many approaches to teaching and learning. The reason for the approach that I chose
    in the video was to demonstrate that learning the harp need not be a daunting endeavor. Many of my students in person here
    in WA, and online via Skype, are seeking a form of stress relief. The harp represents that peace.
    And the music I recorded was
    created to offer this peace.

With all of my individual private students, I customize the approach and incorporate cross-sensory experience, pitch/ear training,
    music theory and technique, building on their strengths, and honoring their challenges. Most of them are brand new to music,
    and become motivated because they may otherwise be intimidated by strict conventional methods. Many of them are "survivors"
    of piano recitals or other harp teachers who told them they would "never learn to play the harp." Many of my students have
    physical and emotional challenges. My background as a professional therapeutic harpist and social worker support them as
    they learn at their own pace, in customized sessions.

The goal I have for my students is to be honored by the pace and methods we use, to experience something in their lives that
    does not add, but rather reduces stress, and to give them confidence and joy. Many of them choose the Harpsicle in their choice
    of natural maple or color, and students resonate with their color of choice, and express the love they have for their instrument,
    spending more time in their hearts than in their heads.

I appreciate the comments and informative content provided by Cynthy Johnson. I honor all teachers and students. And,
    in Introductory Sessions I am quick to refer prospective students to others who may be a better match for style, goals,
    and personality.

My students do learn basic technique and become as proficient as they wish. You may read comments by my students and my
    bio to get a sense of the heart-centered approach I use in teaching and in supporting my students.

There is a new DVD for learning basics on the harp which is quite good. But, as most harpers and instructors will attest, it is
    important to have some support, either in person or online, to reinforce the concepts presented.

Very best wishes to you in learning and loving the harp!

Sincerely,
    Christine Grace Magnussen
    Holistic Harmony/HarpSpirit

peacecalm.com
    HarpSpirit.com

nancy nitta
    Participant

Hi, I was completely BLOWN AWAY by this little guy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svIZUFYB9dY

gorman-jones
    Participant
    gorman-jones
    Participant
    Han Hsieh
    Participant

OMG……the sound of the Erard is stunning. Thanks for the link, Gorman.

unknown-user
    Participant
    carl-swanson
    Participant

I heard her play this piece in New York last year. She’s an awesome harpist. But I have to say that that particular piece of Bach just doesn’t work on the harp. It’s a poor choice to transcribe for harp. There is a video of her on youtube playing the Carnival of Venice variations by Posse which is truly magnificent.

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes, that clip is good too… it’s just not my favorite piece.

As an organist (turned harpist) who played this on organ on my freshman jury, I will completely agree with you on this Carl. It just does not work on the harp.

Briggsie

Indra Prabowo
    Participant

I’ve just found this channel by Linda Umstead.
    Beautiful Harp Music
    Her playing indeed is really beautiful and she played all of her repertoire on a (Pratt’s Nancy Rae?) lever harp. Very stunning and inspiring performance.

Bowie

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I have lately been listening to 15-year-old Lizzie (lizlops followed by a number) and am wildly impressed by her playing after less than two years. She plays on an old Erard pedal harp and on a lever harp. Also piano, which she started at about the same time as the harp.

Ken H.
    Participant

Hi,

shari-faber
    Participant
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

Addendum: Lizzie is lizlops007 on YouTube. Look her up! She is also on my Favorites list (I am jessyquedens) playing Dussek Sonatina #1, 1st movement.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies