harpcolumn

Pointer Finger Player

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Pointer Finger Player

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

As a rural harpist, I can sympathize with the difficulties in finding a local teacher. However, I really think you would have more fun if you could change your right hand behavior with a good teacher. If you have a DSL or Cable Modem computer connection (not dial-up) and a WebCam, the technology is now available to do long distance lessons with any number of teachers. In Google, type Skype “harp teacher” with the quotes as I have shown and you will get several pages of listings for harp teachers who offer lessons over the Internet. Books are a good way to get started, but I think feedback from a live instructor is also quite useful.

Good luck!

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi,

I wonder how necessary it is to go “cold turkey” from the pointer technique to playing with multiple fingers in the right hand.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

My take is that it would be best to go “cold turkey.”

Shawnmarie S
    Participant

Lots of good advice here.

unknown-user
    Participant

I was surprised to see so many responses, and such great input – thanks!

Since making the decision to work on this, I have gone completely cold turkey and its funny because I am learning so much about my deficiencies its not even funny! I have done maybe about

Liam M
    Participant

Liath, “Fiendish” is it now?

And here my wee fingers were enjoying the natural position of the wire after straining so hard to obtain the hitch hiker pose of the nylon & gut!!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

It will get easier.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Oh how funny Audrey- I’m working on the same song! I played the “A” version last year and this year I’m working on the “B” version. Another good workout on the fourth, chords, and placing is O Holy Night (both versions).

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

I have the same problem with small hands and short fingers. Octaves are really hard to do for me, so I often find myself “cheating” and making chords instead… Which I probably shouldn’t do, because then I’ll never be better at octaves. Who said playing the harp was easy?

Lol! ;-D

Aye, truly fiendish is wire technique… I adore wire harp and would love to be able to play it. But I am utterly defeated by it – having not only to place the notes you wish to play, but also to damp the single strings you need to stop… the dexterity of wire players amazes me.

And as for fiendish… we all know that to play like angels, we have to practice like devils ;-)

kreig-kitts

Regarding the ring finger, also remember the ring finer and pinky are somewhat joined (as anybody who’s tried moving the pinky by itself knows), and the pinky should move with it. I was just reading a news story about how important the pinky is to overall hand strength (I was going to link it sometime when I got around to it).

Yolanda Kondonassis’ book “On Playing the Harp” has some exercises at the beginning that did quite a bit to improve my ring finger sound. I was also taking from a teacher at the time who emphasized an even sound across the fingers, but if that’s not possible for you, I’d highly recommend this book and its beginner’s exercises and warm-up.

I’m reminded of friends who do the two-finger peck while typing. They always have to look at the keyboard. My mother made me learn the other way, and now I can fly without looking. It’ll pay off!

unknown-user
    Participant

hahahaha i totally started harp w/ that book!!
    it def has some good music so as long as it sounds good to you and you are having fun i think your totally fine…but if you ever decide you do wana pursue the instrument as more than just fun, its going to be a REALLY hard habit to break. The longer you play this way the more effort your going to have to put into re-learning it (trust me i play violin too, and i had a bunch of bad habits that i had to re-learn), but as long as youre just having fun with it you should be totally fine
    🙂

Gillian Bradford
    Participant

Well my only question is, if you are so sure your one finger technique is right for you, why are you even questioning it? I personally don’t care either way how you play your music, it’s your music. I very much doubt any harpist will agree with you and say “oh that’s a great technique and no you’ll never have a moments trouble with it”.

By playing with only one finger you are limiting the music you can play. Because there is a great deal of music that does actually use two or more notes in the melody hand at the same time. You are also missing out on being able to play rolled chords with both hands which is a recognisable “harp” sound.

I won’t tell you to learn proper technique out of any elitist attitude as I am also not a classical player. I am encouraging it purely from the point of view that you will have more versatility in whatever style of music you play. There will come a point where finger pecking as you call it, won’t be able to keep pace with the music.

You might be interested to know that there’s not a harpist on the planet who thought the traditional four finger techniques were natural and easy the first time they did them. Like anything it takes time to develop it. There are hobby woodworkers who never take the time to learn how to use tools properly. They have fun with wood but don’t turn out the most satisfying work. I think the same can be said for all hobby’s. Just because you don’t earn an income from it doesn’t mean you necessarily need to be unskilled with it.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I was actually just thinking about this thread the other day.

Karen Johns
    Participant

That song is a bear for me, Audrey! I originally played it on my little 22 string Irish lap harp (which is now celebrating its 19th birthday!) and of course played it with improper technique. Now I am learning it over with proper technique and am trying to get it up to Sylvia’s speed on the video. Darn near impossible to get my fingers to fly as fast as hers on this song. Are you playing it at that speed or “leisurely” as it is indicated in the book? Just curious…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies