unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: lever harp dilema #75924
    unknown-user
    Participant

    wow Leigh, im glad you said that about the triplett. I have been looking at that exact model and wondered about the reviews. i might seriously consider it. thanks a lot

    in reply to: lever harp dilema #75918
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I was also looking at the salvi prima 34 and the salvi aida 34. does anyone know the tension and quality of these harps?

    I really like the serenade by thormalhen, and the ravenna 34 comes next. I think im leaning towards the ravenna because of the 1000 dollar price difference, but would that be a good long term decision?

    in reply to: Joined HighSchool Orchestra need advice. #166556
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Although I havent been the harpist for my school’s orchestra for the past two years (will be this coming year as well as bassoonist – yikes!)

    in reply to: Harp for Music Thanatology #75647
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello Geri-

    Do you know the name or location of this hospital?

    Thanks

    Kristin

    in reply to: Rinaldo #109148
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Julie, when you say ‘Rhett’, do you mean Barnwell? The information I have only says R. Barnwell, so I want to be sure we’re talking about the same arrangement.

    in reply to: What to charge #151750
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Everyone
    Thanks so much for the tips and support, I really appreciate it very much.
    I live in an area where there is no other harper around at all, even of poor quality so if they turn me away, there isn’t anyone else.

    I hope a big break comes my way soon, I’d love to never bother with a wedding again – they’re simply not worth the effort, I find my whole day is gone when I play at a wedding, between packing and unpacking the harp, getting dressed, travelling.. they are time consuming and stressful;(

    I don’t know what people expect when they ring me, surely a harpist at your wedding is an extravagant extra!!

    It’s so nice to be among fellow harp players who understand the BS we have to put up with!!!

    Secret Harper

    in reply to: Height for L&H Ogden Music Stand #160282
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Briggsie, I will check them both

    in reply to: Rinaldo #109146
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks, all. It sounds as though the Burton arrangement will do nicely and it’s good to know it’s feasible on lever harp as well.

    in reply to: Harp for Music Thanatology #75645
    unknown-user
    Participant

    First, thanks to all who have shared good/interesting tips, etc.!

    I’d love to be able to take this particular course, yet the cost for me is prohibitive, with harp purchase/rental and the course itself. This was my motivation for asking about any options in harps that may be a little less expensive. I’m particularly interested in hospice work, having volunteered in a non-musical capacity, so this program “spoke” to me (except for the $$$).

    It’s interesting- I’m torn between the necessity of good education for those (including myself) who need it for this thanatology work, and the inevitable exclusion that results when these highly specialized programs are created. It does create an expectation from hospitals/etc. I think the training is a way for the person to make a living, which is fine, but for those who will volunteer those services it may get a little dicey- only time will tell.

    The extreme harp specifications are explained in the website, and I do understand it; I guess, but it does also create a type of exclusiveness as a result.

    Just wish the program included a little more instrument choice, since I think it’s the only thanatolgy program in existence.

    in reply to: Rinaldo #109142
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That seems about right (I’m not really familiar with the Dada system of musical annotation). Here’s a clip of Cecilia Bartoli doing the voice version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peJxkzPSQFg

    And I misspelled it in my original message: it should be Lascia ch’io pianga. Sorry!

    in reply to: Harp-friendly neightbours, NOT! #109255
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you Karen,
    that’s really sweet, I needed to hear that!

    in reply to: Harp-friendly neightbours, NOT! #109254
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hallo Pat,

    “They are very wounded people that refuse to be healed.”

    I agree, in fact when she told me that my playing is affecting her health I thought that it was a really strange and ironic thing to say, considering that there is such a thing as harp therapy. It’s not what I do, but I know that most people usually find the sound of the harp pleasant, relaxing, helpful. Your post made me think that there’s probably a real connection between the (bad) way she relates to people and her reaction of total refusal of my harp playing and music in general. I swear she talked to me like she had never known anybody playing a musical instrument. She kept asking me why do I have to do it, why? Why? I was so taken aback by her question that I didn’t know what to say.

    “In the meantime, might I suggest that even if you don’t play it,
    keep your connection to your harp. I find that even just looking at or
    touching my harp has a calming influence when I’m rattled.”

    I agree again. Oh I’m playing my harp, no worries, I’m certainly not stopping because of her, although I must admit that knowing that somebody is really bothered by me and my harp, does put me off a bit. I know she’s just an arid lady with nothing better to do than complaining, but I’ve found myself wondering if I really play that bad that to hear me it’s some kind of torture. I hope it’s not the case! Well, even if it is… that’s just one more reason to go on practising! 😉
    M.

    in reply to: lever harp dilema #75917
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you everyone for all of your replies. I really appreciate the help. I think i got the perfect amount of help to figure out what im going to get. Ill update soon with the final decision.

    in reply to: Harp-friendly neightbours, NOT! #109248
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Ah I should really reread before posting!

    I meant:

    and thanks Briggsie,
    I’m quite tempted to print your post and put it
    on my door or something, so she can read the note before ringing
    the bell…!
    M.

    in reply to: Harp-friendly neightbours, NOT! #109247
    unknown-user
    Participant

    and thaks Briggsie,
    I’m quite temped to print your post and put it on my door or something, so before she can read the note before ringing the bell…!
    M.

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 5,570 total)