harpcolumn

lever harp dilema

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories lever harp dilema

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hello, I have been playing a harpsicle lap harp for about two years and i am well over due for a

o. t.
    Participant

Did u check out: lyonhealycpo dot com ?

There are many lever harps from Lyon and Healy under $3000. Some of them have like 1-year warranty.

A Troubadour is a good lever harp. I’ve used it for a month at school and I like the sound enough. I have an Aoyama 140 at home. Personally, I’d say LH is a little better sound-wise, but Aoyama one looks a lot better.

Check with LH if you can trade back a lever for a pedal (bounty program) just in case you change your mind later on… Right now a pedal tension seems too much because you’re practicing on a harpsicle. But once you’ve moved on the a lever with medium tension, maybe a pedal tension won’t be too bad anymore.

You can get a fully levered (Truitt)

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

I recommend either a Blevins or the Merlin R-Harp.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Also check with VA and Atlanta Harp Center. They make several trips to FL during the year for various events and just to deliver instruments and they’re always happy to bring along more instruments for someone to try. They’re very accommodating. I think one of them *may* be in Orlando this weekend for the harp event, but I don’t know:

http://www.harpcolumn.com/calendar/item?event_id=6482687

Call Bill Webster, (google Webster Strings) and talk to him. He will put you on to some owners who have his harps. His harps are great, well built, beautiful sounding and he stands behind them. And they are VERY affordable. Check them out.

Briggsie

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

<>

If you don’t like concert tension, then the tension of the Troubadour and the Webster harps (much as I adore their tone) is going to be too much for you.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thank you everyone for all of your replies. I really appreciate the help. I think i got the perfect amount of help to figure out what im going to get. Ill update soon with the final decision.

unknown-user
    Participant

I was also looking at the salvi prima 34 and the salvi aida 34. does anyone know the tension and quality of these harps?

I really like the serenade by thormalhen, and the ravenna 34 comes next. I think im leaning towards the ravenna because of the 1000 dollar price difference, but would that be a good long term decision?

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Hi Chelsey,

Don’t overlook the Triplett Sierras. I have a 34 that sounds as nice as my teacher’s Dusty 36 (she said so). In fact I was in the bathroom once when we were both playing at the gallery and I heard her tuning and then playing wonderful arpeggios up and down and I thought to myself, “I wish the Dusty wasn’t too wide for my arms, listen to that sound!” I came out of the bathroom and was going to say something to that effect to her, only to see that she was playing MY harp! mine is two years old now and has developed a beautiful tone. The Sierras come in a 36 string model now, and I believe are still just under or around $2000.00. They have Camac levers which are awesome, too.

My two cents,
    Leigh

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Gosh, Leigh, you have a wonderful harp!

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Hi Jerusha,

I got the walnut with walnut veneer soundboard. You can see it here on my page at Northern Harpsong (the Photoshopped neck of the harp in the banner is also my harp).
    http://harpsong.ning.com/profile/Leigh

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Oops, let’s try that again…

http://harpsong.ning.com/profile/Leigh

Wonderful pictures, Leigh. Your harp is beautiful.

unknown-user
    Participant

wow Leigh, im glad you said that about the triplett. I have been looking at that exact model and wondered about the reviews. i might seriously consider it. thanks a lot

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies