harpcolumn

What to charge

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists What to charge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Everyone
    People frequently call me to book me for weddings, receptions and other events and I always get so nervous about pricing. Once a woman rang me and said I was far too expensive and got pretty vicious with me to the point where I had to put the phone down and have a cry! I charge €250 for a wedding and €200 and hour for background music. Am I being unreasonable? Please let me know what is the going rate for a harper, I am well qualified Classical and Irish Traditional.
    Thanks

Sylvia Clark

I think the rates differ according to what area you are in.

David Ice
    Participant

Wow!

richard-hagan
    Participant

I would like to pose the question as to why one would even refer such a person to other musicians (of harp or other instrument)?

I wouldn’t do it without calling the other musician to warn them immediately upon hanging up….however, it might be worthwhile to set up an arrangement with a colleague so that when they say your rates are too high, and you refer them to the colleague, the colleague then quotes a higher fee. Personally, however, I would just tell them I wasn’t able to accomodate them and let THEM search for someone else, thus breathing a sigh of relief that I didn’t have to deal with it.

Briggsie

Sylvia Clark

If someone wanted to argue the price, I’d refer them to someone else simply because they need to know that we all charge for our services, and I am not a unique case.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Everyone
    Thanks so much for the tips and support, I really appreciate it very much.
    I live in an area where there is no other harper around at all, even of poor quality so if they turn me away, there isn’t anyone else.

I hope a big break comes my way soon, I’d love to never bother with a wedding again – they’re simply not worth the effort, I find my whole day is gone when I play at a wedding, between packing and unpacking the harp, getting dressed, travelling.. they are time consuming and stressful;(

I don’t know what people expect when they ring me, surely a harpist at your wedding is an extravagant extra!!

It’s so nice to be among fellow harp players who understand the BS we have to put up with!!!

Secret Harper

Seoid OC
    Participant

Whereabouts are you?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>certainly more than an organist or singer, but not too much more.

Harpists generally get MUCH more than an organist or singer, who only has bring himself/herself and not lug a harp.

Seoid OC
    Participant

Should a pedal harpist charge more than a lever harpist?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Why? It’s your skill they’re hiring, not the particular harp you want to bring. Should I get paid more if my concert grand cost more than your semigrand?

Regardless of the kind of harp you play you have these expenses that the organist/singer do not:

instrument.
    strings
    insurance
    vehicle to haul it around and fuel for that vehicle

etc.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I should add that I play both pedal and lever harp and I charge exactly the same for them. Nobody but other harpists cares how you make your sharps and flats.

Amen, Barbara! I had that mindset when I began playing for weddings. When I got my first concert harp, I thought this is it, the big time. Then one of my first weddings out, someone asked me, “I thought all harps were gold…” So now I have to think I can charge more when I have a gold harp? Enough is enough! The music and service you are providing is an out pouring of you – don’t undervalue yourself. Size doesn’t matter! Play like you’re packing a Louis XV!

Some pedal harpists charge more because they hire a mover.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

And some smart lever harpists charge the same and pocket the difference. I believe Ray Pool said once he does that: charges his standard rate and takes his Dusty in the subway to gigs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies