unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Thoughts on harp/piano duos and harp/organ duos #151299
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have not been involved in this as a harpist. Diane Bish made a wonderful CD with Susanne Macdonald of popular hymn arrangements. I have been an organist and pianist for over 35 years. Ensemble playing demands sensitivity to all the musicians in the ensemble. Harp can be paired with piano and organ, but you are correct in saying you do not want the harp drowned out. Last year I played the piano with a small orchestra for a Christmas cantata at church. We also hired a harpist as part of the orchestra. I had to make sure the piano part did not double the harp part, so that the harp’s counterpoint could be heard.

    in reply to: frustrated with prices #160012
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi everyone
    After spending most of the afternoon at the computer sending more emails for info about harps for sale and chatting with Customs Canada I was pleasantly surprised by the info I learned.
    In one scenario, if I buy a L&H CPO or new or any other US made harp, what I pay is the exchange rate first, then the insurance and then the shipping cost to the company/shop owner, and when it gets into Canada, because the instrument is made in the States, there is no duty to be claimed. I would pay the taxes GST and PST.
    So at least I am getting some answers to my questions…
    from Dana
    PS. all of this info is really valuable for canadian buyers who want to pursue their dream of owning a harp and taking lessons–even though all of this has been extremely frustrating, at least now, others from Canada will know about the necessary steps to get a US made instrument into Canada!

    in reply to: Lyon & Healy delivery question #75543
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Sharon,

    I hope you are enjoying your Prelude.

    in reply to: frustrated with prices #160010
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks for all of the replies. I did get in touch with L&H and they told me that there would be a fee of $226.88 US to have it shipped to a bonding shed close to my home. I would need to do the paper work to get the harp–duty, bonding fees and taxes. Insurance is $48.00 US on a $4000 harp. I would have to get in touch with Canada customs to know if there are any other taxes involved.
    And that is what I am going to do today–get some questions answered and if it is worthwhile, take a look at L&H CPO once more.
    and hey Carl, do ‘you’ have a boat to get a harp for me across the border??

    from Dana

    in reply to: frustrated with prices #160008
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Is there any tax if you order any of the harp from lyon and healy or is it just the price + shipping/insurance?

    in reply to: frustrated with prices #160004
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi there
    Thanks for replying.
    You raised some good points here. Yes I did ask to match the US price and they said they could not do that because of the exchange rate, customs fees, and shipping/handling/delivery into Canada.
    I will still look around–I am not going to give up yet!
    from Dana

    in reply to: Prelude 40 or Prelude 38 or Salvi Ana #155733
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Brook– thank you for your input.

    in reply to: Is the Prelude 40 worth it? #159988
    unknown-user
    Participant

    wow..thanks for the tips…I will look more into it. I am not going towards concert but more towards folk/scottish type tunes. If anyone else has any suggestion please..

    in reply to: Bent neck-should I release the tension? #75601
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Just wanted to add that I have contacted the manufacture and am waiting for a reply from them, so you don’t need to contact them any more. Thanks. And by teh way, the column is not warping, but it is tilting from the base because of the pressure of the neck against the column.

    in reply to: Harpsicles? Paraguayan harps? I need help! #68936
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi there

    I too am in Canada and have searched and still am,looking for a new or used harp but at a reasonable cost.

    I have looked at East coast harps in Nova Scotia, West coast harps in B.C., Gramophone in Alberta, Vixen harps and Classical academy of harp in Ottawa, L&H CPO site, Timothy harps in Forest and several online emails to other dealers who did not send me back any info. I do have one place yet to try, Remenyi in Toronto. Kijiji and Craig’list for used harps didn’t bring about any harps.

    The problem being in Canada is finding a good harp at a good price.

    For example, the Lyon and Healy Prelude 40 is advertised at $4490 US. Sound great and is tempting, but further info makes a final number for Canadians as just under $6000.

    The exchange rate, shipping costs to Canada, customs tax and also our PST and GST taxes and then insurance brings it to approx.$5900. so no real deal for us.

    All of the Canadian dealers charge us for exchange, taxes, customs, shipping, and our Ontario taxes.

    So really, there are no real deals. It is tempting to go to L&H CPO website and see the used harps at seemingly good prices, but as a Canadian we luck out as no one ever tells you the real total.

    Good luck in your search. I too will continue looking.

    from Dana

    in reply to: Is the Prelude 40 worth it? #159982
    unknown-user
    Participant

    forgot to ask ..if the prelude 40 is good for playing folk/ scottish music? compared to the ogden?

    in reply to: Is the Prelude 40 worth it? #159981
    unknown-user
    Participant

    coool. thanks….awe

    in reply to: Salzedo vs Grandjany #84367
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I had a most wonderful piano teacher in my youth who told me something very wise: “Whatever music you choose to play, make sure the ONE thing you do above everything else, is LISTEN to the sound you are producing. Can you be proud of that? Then there you are.” You should know that this teacher was trained in pre-revolution Russia and he was a stickler for technique.

    I am coming to the harp as an adult after 45 years of playing the piano and organ, Classical literature primarily. What a different way to use one’s hands. I find it a struggle at times, but very rewarding. I have always loved the sound of the harp.

    in reply to: Salzedo vs Grandjany #85590
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I had a most wonderful piano teacher in my youth who told me something very wise: “Whatever music you choose to play, make sure the ONE thing you do above everything else, is LISTEN to the sound you are producing. Can you be proud of that? Then there you are.” You should know that this teacher was trained in pre-revolution Russia and he was a stickler for technique.

    I am coming to the harp as an adult after 45 years of playing the piano and organ, Classical literature primarily. What a different way to use one’s hands. I find it a struggle at times, but very rewarding. I have always loved the sound of the harp.

    in reply to: Is the Prelude 40 worth it? #159979
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hmmm. Thank you for all the advise. Too bad, I can’t seem to find like any Prelude 40 on youtube to listen to and compare.

    I maybe able to swing the extra expensive and plus its on sale. I’ve seen lots of good response about it in the forum. Is anyone having problems with it?

    I saw one natural color one in the classified section for 3500$ used. I’m not sure if I want to buy used because if something goes wrong I can’t return or exchange.

    Again thank you for all the advice.

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 5,570 total)