Lyon & Healy delivery question

• Participant
    unknown-user on #75524

Hello all!

I’ve been reading the forums for a while, but this is my first post.

I’ve ordered a Lyon & Healy Prelude 40… three month wait, due to be “drop shipped” from L&H in mid-April (so close, yet so far). They are supposed to call me to set up a delivery date.

Would anyone familiar with L&H’s delivery methods advise me on what to look for? Do they unpack it? Am I supposed to look for damage before I sign? (I would assume so, although I don’t know how long I could hold the delivery folk up.) If I need to look for damage what should I keep an eye out for? I’ll assume obvious cracks and parts that have separated. Anything else?

All advice would be appreciated! I’m so excited! I’m aiming for a pedal harp at some point, but the Prelude was too good a deal to pass up.

(And, yes, I am one of the “Beginning in the Middle” types who has wanted a harp since I was a child (we’re talking a 30 year wait, so three months at this point is pretty minor).

As a side note: I am in Michigan, so the harp isn’t traveling too far. I have ordered through Elderly Instruments (Lansing), a place I’ve bought several instruments(mostly guitars) from through the years. I’ve opted for the drop ship since:

1) My vehicle probably wouldn’t hold it
    2) I’ve got 2 small kids, making the drive to Lansing for an inspection just not a happy thought :-)

Thanks!

Sharon

Participant
    Geri McQuillen on #75525

Dear

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #75526

The delivery people will be whoever is the local affiliate of the truck line L&H uses. They will not unpack your harp, and they will be a big hurry to get that 500 gallon aquarium delivered to the next customer. At least inspect the box for any visible damage. It would be nice if you could get them to stay while you unbox the harp, but the odds of this happening are very small in most locations.

Participant
    unknown-user on #75527

Barbara & Geri:

Thank you for your replies. When they call to set up a delivery date I’m going to ask about the window for discovering damage (i.e. how long I have to inspect it). I’ll assume that one looks for damage on the box and notes it before signing (usual stuff).

When I finally plunk down the cash for a pedal harp I think I’ll just rent a vehicle of some kind and transport the thing myself. Maybe it’s just me, but it seems that “modern” delivery services consist of throwing something from the truck to the ground, maybe dragging it to the porch. We’ve had things delivered where we were grateful that the driver didn’t take out the mailbox along with a few tree limbs 8-)

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #75528

Good luck, Sharon!

In the past it was sometimes possible to cajole delivery folks into waiting around while you unpacked the item, but these days mostly the poor guys are doing four or five routes instead of one and they’re even more under the gun to stay on schedule.

Enjoy your new harp.

Participant
    brook-boddie on #75529

Sharon,

When I’ve had a harp delivered before, L&H has advised me to inspect the box very carefully, and if there is any damage at all, to note on the receipt bill that the box was damaged with possible content damage.

Participant
    Dwyn . on #75530

Geri:

Participant
    Geri McQuillen on #75531

I understand what you are saying, Dwyn, and I know a lot more now than when I bought the Salvi.

Participant
    Indra Prabowo on #75532

I’m quite sure it’ll be just fine.

I received my Prelude from L&H CPO last month and it came in near perfect condition.

tony-morosco on #75533

Well, I just had a harp delivered late last year direct from Lyon and Healy so I can recount my experience.

I was warned ahead of time that the delivery person would not wait for me to unpack the harp. I was told that if I say any obvious damage to the carton to note it on the delivery papers before signing them. I was given detailed instructions on how to unpack the harp.

Although it does come in a carton and not a crate it was well packed and it would really take some major mishaps to cause damage. However something like a misplaced forklift could really do a number on it, so look for that kind of damage to the carton.

After unpacking it look for damage to the finish. Make sure that all the joints are close and tight. There should be no separation where wood meets wood. Particularly pay attention to the base of the harp.

Check the levers to make sure they are all working smoothly. It WILL take some time for the strings to settle, but if you check right after you tune it you should be able to check the intonation on the levers to be sure it is regulated correctly. The first time you tune you should do so slowly. My harp came with instruction on how to get the harp up to tune correctly.

Although none of the strings were broken on mine I was warned that even though they tune the harp down for shipping strings can still break, so be prepared just in case.

If you notice any damage to the harp contact Lyon and Healy immediately. They will work with you in rectifying the problem. That may mean anything from sending the harp back and them sending a new one to them arranging to have it fixed locally by an approved tech if there are any in your area. But they are good people who want you to be satisfied with your instrument so they will work to fix any problems.

Chances are, however, that there will be no problem. They do this all the time and certainly they wouldn’t be able to stay in business if they had a lot of damage to their harps. They pick their shippers and handlers carefully. While there is always the possibility of problems and damage it is fairly rare. This is the third harp I have had shipped direct to me, the second from Lyon and Healy. Never had a problem so don’t worry until there is something to worry about.

In fact the guy who delivered my harp mentioned that he often delivers the harps for Harps Etc.. which is not too far from where I live. So I think that they use shippers who have a proven track record with them, which is nice to know.

And enjoy the new harp. Preludes are nice instruments.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #75534

Since there seems to be some worry here about the boxes, I just want to say that a box with foam is a MUCH better way to ship a harp than the old harp trunks were.

When I bought my Style 11, which was old enough to have its own trunk, I left the trunk with the previous owner, since I’d much rather have it boxed and foamed if I ever have to ship it anywhere.

Participant
    Donna O on #75535

Sharon,
    I had my Prelude 40 delivered with no problems, although I live in the Chicago area and mine came from there, so wasn’t shipped a long distance.

Participant
    unknown-user on #75536

Thanks all!
    Donna: My soon-to-arrive Prelude is Mahogany also; cheers!

Participant
    galen-reed on #75537

I am aware of one major dealership who instructs clients to write “possible internal damage” on the shipping papers – regardless of how pristine the carton/trunk may look.

Participant
    unknown-user on #75538

Well, I had ordered the L&H Prelude in mid January with a 3 mos. expected wait. One delay (lever supply) lead to another and *finally* after a little more than 4.5 months I finally received the shipping notice. According to the shipper it should be delivered tomorrow (Wednesday) between 9-5 (EST).

Thanks for all of the tips; wish me luck please! 8-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.