harpcolumn

Lyon & Healy delivery question

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Lyon & Healy delivery question

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Yay!!!

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

When I got my Salvi from Harp World, I got the shippers to wait while I unpacked it.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I should also add that this was when I lived in Seattle.

janet-king
    Participant

Also, if you have a problem or doubt, an excellent harp technician lives in your state, and you could consult with him:

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Sharon,

I hope you are enjoying your Prelude.

unknown-user
    Participant

The Prelude isn’t all that heavy (~40-44 pounds). My shipper was very nice and brought the boxed harp onto the porch. He offered to carry it inside but I declined… I have 2 small(er) kids, 1 grown dog and 2 puppies so the poor guy was more likely to trip than make a successful delivery. We (delivery guy & I) unpacked it on the porch (to check for damage before I signed it off) and I carried it inside myself.

It’s a very nice harp (esp. for the money). I’d like to eventually get a pedal harp, but given the cost I’d have a friend or 2 on site to help check for damage and help me move it in.

I believe that the liability is the biggest issue… would the shipper be OK with hauling it over the railing? The Prelude is a smaller harp and fairly easy to carry; if the shipper won’t deliver the way you’d like you may want to have a backup person to help you get it in. It’s more awkward than heavy, and it comes with a harp cover, a large box and packing styrofoam that covers the top and bottom of the harp, plus a gonzo-sized plastic bag :-)

I still have the carton… if you’re really curious I can measure it for you. It’s a decent size and I had an easier time moving the Prelude inside the house *without* the box. If you (or someone you know) can lift an oddly shaped ~44 pounds you’re all set moving the harp itself even if the shipper won’t deliver through that entrance.

Good luck! I recommend the Prelude, and with the discount it’s a good time to go for it.

Sharon

unknown-user
    Participant

Thank you so much Sharon!

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Yes, it comes strung, but they will have been loosened for shipping, so you’ll have to tune it frequently for a few days until they hold their pitch. It comes with a tuning key and cover, warranty card which you should fill out and return, and sometimes they also send a book of music (Milligan’s Fun From the FIrst). Enjoy!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

While it’s hard to get a good purchase on it no matter how you grab it, if you can pick it up at all, you should be able to carry the unboxed harp upright up the stairs, maybe pausing periodically to let it rest on the step above you while you get your grip back.

unknown-user
    Participant

Mine came with two broken strings. I called and received replacements a few days later.

The cover fits like a mitten (with velcro) so it’s a little harder; maybe just calling in a second pair of hands might help.

I read on this forum about examining for damage before you sign and, given the price, I really do recommend unboxing it and giving it a good look-over before the delivery person leaves. My guy was really nice about that. Maybe you could put an old blanket on your garage floor, unbox and examine it in the garage, try moving it yourself from box base to blanket (get a feel for how the weight handles) and see then if you want to try yourself or get help. If delivery person is as nice as mine was you may even get an offer to help move it from garage in.

Good Luck!

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks everybody!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.