harpcolumn

Thoughts on harp/piano duos and harp/organ duos

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Thoughts on harp/piano duos and harp/organ duos

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    elena-k-pohl
    Participant

I have always thought that harp would not be paired well with either the piano or organ, but I was wondering what other harpists thought….have you tried it before?

unknown-user
    Participant

I have not been involved in this as a harpist. Diane Bish made a wonderful CD with Susanne Macdonald of popular hymn arrangements. I have been an organist and pianist for over 35 years. Ensemble playing demands sensitivity to all the musicians in the ensemble. Harp can be paired with piano and organ, but you are correct in saying you do not want the harp drowned out. Last year I played the piano with a small orchestra for a Christmas cantata at church. We also hired a harpist as part of the orchestra. I had to make sure the piano part did not double the harp part, so that the harp’s counterpoint could be heard.

They pair very well in the right music if the keyboard player is a sensitive partner.

barbara-fackler
    Participant

Elena,

I’ve worked many times with an organist and I can recommend some great repertoire if you’re interested.

Barb

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies