Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
unknown-user
ParticipantMine came with two broken strings. I called and received replacements a few days later.
The cover fits like a mitten (with velcro) so it’s a little harder; maybe just calling in a second pair of hands might help.
I read on this forum about examining for damage before you sign and, given the price, I really do recommend unboxing it and giving it a good look-over before the delivery person leaves. My guy was really nice about that. Maybe you could put an old blanket on your garage floor, unbox and examine it in the garage, try moving it yourself from box base to blanket (get a feel for how the weight handles) and see then if you want to try yourself or get help. If delivery person is as nice as mine was you may even get an offer to help move it from garage in.
Good Luck!
unknown-user
ParticipantThank you so much Sharon!
unknown-user
ParticipantYes, the diagonal slash definately means to break the chord or interval. These marks were generally unknown to the harp world until recently because in the past editors have simply disregarded these marks for one reason or another and so many copies today do not have these slashes. Recently, though, through research it has been discovered that these slashes, which do indeed indicate ripling, are found on many old manuscripts for pieces like Naderman sonatas or Dussek pieces. This is interesting because it shows that these composers had a much more romantic period writing style than we give them credit for.
~Sam
unknown-user
ParticipantYes, the diagonal slash definately means to break the chord or interval. These marks were generally unknown to the harp world until recently because in the past editors have simply disregarded these marks for one reason or another and so many copies today do not have these slashes. Recently, though, through research it has been discovered that these slashes, which do indeed indicate ripling, are found on many old manuscripts for pieces like Naderman sonatas or Dussek pieces. This is interesting because it shows that these composers had a much more romantic period writing style than we give them credit for.
~Sam
unknown-user
ParticipantI did look into the harpsicle. Its alright
I was going to do the rent to own program with Lyon and Healy.
Wonder if Salvi Ana has one.
I don’t want to do a program that is just rent. I’ve also listened the cheaper harps and liked the Border Wye but can’t seem to find it here in the USI’m not actually going to buy anything until November or December. I finally found a teacher so was gonna start lesson first before I buy anything.
Thanks for the advice
unknown-user
ParticipantOMG thank you so much.
unknown-user
ParticipantI make folk harps and will trade a new 25 string Celtic harp for the Clark.
See my harps at http://www.silvershellmusic.com.
Do you have the legs for it?
Al Winters
Camp Hill, PA
unknown-user
ParticipantThanks so much Brook…Read so many forums and review…kinda dizzy…but guess i’m down to these four. I just need to find a sample of the Prelude…
Ogden
Prelude 40
Salvi Ana old model
Triplett SierrasAgain Thanks so much..will email saliv…
unknown-user
ParticipantWhere can I find the Ana for purchase? I read in the forum that they have some of the older models for sale with the Salvi levers. Are salvi levers better? The newer models are going to different levers?
hmm be really nice if i could find a sample of the prelude 40 to compare.
New Salvi Ana 38 are 5200$ w/ salvi levers
Prelude 40 is 4490$ dunno what kind of lever?unknown-user
Participantdoes anyone know how the prelude compares to the Salvi ana ? I found a sample of Salvi ana sample and it was very nice
I still can’t find any sample of the Prelude.
L&H said they didn’t have any samples when I emailed them…So are the sound a lot different for the prelude 40 vs Salvi ana?unknown-user
Participantomg that so cool. I mean I save loads w/out the 10% tax..thanks
unknown-user
Participantre crossing the Canadian Border –
in the late 90’s (granted – this is before 9-ll) I had a family wedding to play for in Vancouver – I tried to rent a good pedal harp there and had no success – I ended up air freighting my Paragon from San Antonio Texas to Seattle, rented a Ford Windstar, and drove across the border with the harp laying on the folded down seats – never was questioned either way – I also took my McKay harp cart on the plane with me as carry on luggage and stashed it up near the front bulkhead – no problem there either – In retrospect, I think maybe I was just plain lucky – – – –
Actually, my worst problem was getting lost regularly once I was across the border as i didn’t pay attention to the factunknown-user
ParticipantThe Prelude isn’t all that heavy (~40-44 pounds). My shipper was very nice and brought the boxed harp onto the porch. He offered to carry it inside but I declined… I have 2 small(er) kids, 1 grown dog and 2 puppies so the poor guy was more likely to trip than make a successful delivery. We (delivery guy & I) unpacked it on the porch (to check for damage before I signed it off) and I carried it inside myself.
It’s a very nice harp (esp. for the money). I’d like to eventually get a pedal harp, but given the cost I’d have a friend or 2 on site to help check for damage and help me move it in.
I believe that the liability is the biggest issue… would the shipper be OK with hauling it over the railing? The Prelude is a smaller harp and fairly easy to carry; if the shipper won’t deliver the way you’d like you may want to have a backup person to help you get it in. It’s more awkward than heavy, and it comes with a harp cover, a large box and packing styrofoam that covers the top and bottom of the harp, plus a gonzo-sized plastic bag
I still have the carton… if you’re really curious I can measure it for you. It’s a decent size and I had an easier time moving the Prelude inside the house *without* the box. If you (or someone you know) can lift an oddly shaped ~44 pounds you’re all set moving the harp itself even if the shipper won’t deliver through that entrance.
Good luck! I recommend the Prelude, and with the discount it’s a good time to go for it.
Sharon
unknown-user
ParticipantIt is also good practice to do scales in various keys on the harp, even if the fingering may not change. And why not change the fingering to provide extra practice? The goal is to build a technique that will allow one to play musical literature with facility and grace. There is no end to working on technique, there is no magical summit that will one day be reached. One can always do better. That said, I do not believe in torturing oneself, either.
unknown-user
ParticipantI was a music major way back in 1973 (piano). I couldn’t see how I was ever going to support myself in music. Fast-forward to the 1990s, I met Tina Tourin and studied with her at hospice in San Diego. I always had an interest in the harp. Now last year at age 55 I graduated from nursing school and purchased a pedal harp.
-
AuthorPosts