harpcolumn

Ogden Broken Strings!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Ogden Broken Strings!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hello,

I am somewhat new to the harp.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

You startled me for a moment–Brokenstrings is my user name elsewhere. No, 15 strings in that time is not normal. Are you sure you’re not tuning too high? Discuss the matter with the person or institution you are renting from. After all, you’re paying for the replacement strings, right?

dawn-penland
    Participant

It’s hard to say what’s going on.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Are they gut strings? If so, are you noticing them breaking mainly in the upper octaves? If so, you may want to consider switching them out with nylon. Call L&H and discuss this with one of their technicians, and the place you rented the harp from.

Good Luck,
    Karen

galen-reed
    Participant

John,

I got one of the first Ogdens made (and still have it), and there was extreme breakage in the first 6-9 months, afterwhich it began to taper off until now when they are breaking much less, and usually of normal old age.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have had this problem with my Ogden harp. It was the same string that kept breaking (every week or two, for over a year!) We had to send it in for repairs so many times, and in the end they figured out there was a huge crack in the soundboard and I had to get a new harp.
    I think the string breaking had to do with the little rings at the bottom, they were made of metal but all the newer Ogdens (and all the other L&H harps) at the store had plastic rings. Maybe this is why your strings break as well?

Karen Johns
    Participant

Romy-

One of my dear harpist friends has an L&H Prelude 40, and she had quite a few strings break even with those plastic grommets. I really think it might have to do with gut strings and high tension in those upper octaves (if gut strings are what the Ogden is strung with). It seems to be a fairly common occurence with L&H harps, at least with these two models. Luckily, my friend contacted L&H about the problem and they replaced all her strings at no charge. They are now stringing the new Prelude 40 harps with nylon in the upper octaves due to this problem.

Karen

John Sims

Thank you for all the advice everyone.

andy-b
    Participant

Hi, John: I hope your experience with the Ogden won’t sour you on harps! The Ogdens seem to be pretty sturdy, nice little harps once they get past that string breakage stage. I had one for a year myself, with the same issue for the first several months. It is very frustrating to have to deal with! I’ve had two Preludes that broke a few strings, but not to the extent of the Ogden.

Another harp I highly recommend is the Thormahlen Serenade. I purchased a used one last Novemeber, and have been very pleased. I’ve replaced a couple of the older strings, but not had any breakage so far.

Lynn
    Participant

Hello, John,

I’m sure I’d have gotten

Laurie Muirhead
    Participant

I have a student that has been experiencing this same challenge.

deb-l
    Participant

I’ve had my one year old rental Ogden, #750, for 2 weeks and no broken strings yet.

jean-mac
    Participant

I too had many broken strings within the first few months of owning the Ogden 2 years ago and have now replaced most of them (gut strung) and have just had 2 more break.

deb-l
    Participant

Jean, that is one scary post!

Lynn
    Participant

Hi, Jean et al,

I’m certainly no expert either, but

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.