harpcolumn

Salzedo Harp Registry

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Salzedo Harp Registry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    john-carrington
    Participant

I am heading up the Salzedo 125th Anniversary Exhibit for the 2010 AHS Conference this summer. One of the projects I’m working on is creating a registry of where the original Salzedo model harps are today that were built between 1930 and 1954. There were about fifty made. So far I have located 30 of them but any help in finding the final 20 would be appreciated. Any ideas?

unknown-user
    Participant

Check with David Williams at Williams Harp Galleries – he has been in the business many years and is quite the encylopedia of who played what and where they are now –

I would also imagine that another good source of information would be the various regulators and technicians in various parts of the country as well as overseas – and also the various Salzedo method teachers around the country –

You might also consider adding a list to this post of the ones you have already found so time isn’t wasted with duplication searches –

Very interesting project – keep us posted
    John

john-carrington
    Participant

Here are the currents owners I have found:

Dorian Llywelyn
    Participant

I believe there was one in Dale Barco’s workshop awaiting rebuilding. I’m not sure of the date of that harp, but it was certainly one of the Salzedo’s with wide spacing, especially in the middle octaves, and the wood was a deep honey color, which makes me think it would be around the right age. I am not sure what happened to all the harps there – in addition to some really interesting instruments he had in his workshop, Dale had a whole garage (which he he called ‘the morgue’) full of unplayable instruments. I seem to remember that he’d made arrangements for L&H to have the harps.

john-carrington
    Participant

Dorian,
    This sounds like the Salzedo harp I bought from Dale a year and a half ago. It had been in his garage for 1 1/2 years with no takers. I had it rebuilt by Lyon & Healy and it is fantastic. They referred to it’s “pecan” color from spending too much time in the sun!
    I will double check with L&H to see if they acquired any instruments from his estate.
    Thanks for the tip.

elinor-niemisto
    Participant

There is one in the Owatonna (MN) High School that was a gift from Laurie Meister (forgot her married name).

john-carrington
    Participant

I heard from the band director today at Owatonna High School. The serial number of the harp places it in the 1980’s and

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi – was just chatting on the phone with David Williams and got on to the subject of your list of Salzedos – he said to give him another call as he remembered a couple more that you might be able to find
    John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies