harpcolumn

University

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists University

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Participant

I am a young harpist looking at Universities. What college would you recommend to someone who wanted to study Harp at a University with excellent academics? I would like to study with someone who teaches Granjany-style technique.

My recommendation is for the Eastman School of Music, at the University of Rochester, in Rochester NY. Not only has the U 0f R several Nobel prize winners on its faculty, but Eastman School has Kathleen Bride, excellent teacher of Grandjany harp technique. There is a summer harp program for those who want a short introduction to serious harp study after high school; first class dormitory and dining facilities; wonderful Sibley Music Library connected to the School.

Carnegie-Mellon would be another, and New York University as well.

unknown-user
    Participant

You didn’t make it clear that you intend to major in harp. (although you did imply that) At a lot of schools you can only study with the harp instructor if you are a major. Just something to consider.

~Sam

laura-palmieri
    Participant

I attend a small college in Michigan called Oakland University, where my teacher
    Kerstin Allvin teaches Grandjany-style technique. She studied with Susann Mcdonald and a few others in France. It’s a pretty good school academic wise also.

laura-stokes
    Participant

You could also consider the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore MD. Dr. Ruth K. Inglefield who is wonderful and was a student of Grandjany. There is also a double degree with John’s Hopkins available.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies