unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,486 through 4,500 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: ahs competition levels #89257
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Competitions and auditions…yeek!!

    in reply to: ahs competition levels #89258
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Words of wisdom if ever I heard them, James! Thanks so much for sharing this.

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166335
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hola a todos los arpistas latinos, quiero desearles un feliz y prospero a?o deseando exitos para el futuro.

    Quiero invitarlos a que visiten el sitio http://www.rochesharps.com El cual lo estamos desarrollando en compa?ia con el Maestro Manuel Jota Larroche virtuoso del arpa, el cual ha dedicado mas de 25 a?os de su vida a investigar y mejorar este instrumento, tenemos disponibilidad de 6 Arpas en este momento, las cuales logran una textura, afinaci?n, suavidad y portabilidad realmente maravillosas

    Espero recibir sus comentarios, pronto agregaremos un video y mas detalles para que puedan apreciar su calidad.

    Cordial Saludo

    Jorge Leal
    (Bogot? Colombia)

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144890
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I always play in socks – I tried playing with shoes on in a concert (luckily I was in an ensemble) but I kept changing the wrong pedals and ending up in a muddle because I couldn’t feel them properly. So now I always play in socks, but I guess as I’m still only an amateur, it doesn’t really matter at the moment. I have had a couple of people asking me if it’s necessary to play barefoot, but they seemed to think it was quite funny.
    My harp teacher has given me the suggestion of getting some ballet shoes, which, while looking enough like shoes, would still be soft and small enough for me to feel the pedals. So I’ll have to try that. But I’m guessing that would only work for girls…

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144885
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Alexander,

    It’s 2005! Do whatever makes YOU play the best, period! There are no rules
    anymore. I tried Capezio shoes for several months and absolutely hated
    them. I play best in my socks, so I do just about anything that allows me to be
    the best I can. Remember, it’s 2005 and the old fashion rules don’t matter
    anymore. The only people who have critized me about playing with my socks
    on were two middle age harpists.

    One of my all-time favorite pianists is George Winston who only plays piano
    on stage with his socks on (fully dressed). There are some string players who
    play totally barefoot because it makes them connect to the earth. Remember
    again, it’s 2005 and it’s time to more forward and break the old fashioned
    rules, because those rules don’t apply anymore.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144886
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Christian

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144888
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks for the compliment James. I remember the 60’s also, and also have
    memories of the 50’s.

    It’s just good to be discrete certain circumstances, and other times not.

    On stage during a concert, I play both piano and harp with socks. I do that
    because I play better that way, period.

    Tuxedos are “out ” (part of the last century), being cool is “in” …it’s 2005.

    in reply to: traveling with a sharpsicle #164357
    unknown-user
    Participant

    You can buy a padded nylon bag for your sharpsicle.

    in reply to: Suzuki teacher certification #86453
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Check the website of the Suzuki Association of the Americas and look under Teacher Training.

    in reply to: Blending Suzuki and traditional teaching methods #89269
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Chris,

    Yes! It is possible to blend both methods together.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144881
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Alex

    in reply to: Are Gold Harps worth the extra $$$? #167719
    unknown-user
    Participant

    If you can afford it I think it’s worth it. I like the look of the gold being worn away here and there, but now they make column covers to prevent that from happening. What’s exposed is the layers of clay underneath, which are rust and white. Perhaps they occasionally used green clay, but I’ve never seen it.

    in reply to: Lyon & Healy – Prelude lever harp? #167726
    unknown-user
    Participant

    So tell us about your new harp! I’ve played several troubadors and just one Prelude. I prefered the look and sound of the Prelude. To me it seemed to sound and feel more “live”. I know some may prefer the troubador since all of us like different qualities in instruments. The only thing I didn’t like about the prelude is the weight of the instrument.
    dennis

    in reply to: Raising? #167745
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’m open to whatever approach that meets my standards. One performance I remember over many others was Emily Mitchell’s performance of the Hovhaness Nocturne. If accomodating everyone means having no standards, then that’s no good either.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157813
    unknown-user
    Participant

    i started suffering from dry cracking and bleeding fingertips several years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,486 through 4,500 (of 5,570 total)