unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,471 through 4,485 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: megan harp #156290
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Sylvie! Congratulations on coming back to the harp world.

    in reply to: megan harp #156291
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have to agree that the Pakistani harps aren’t the greatest, but if you get it really cheap, it could work to learn on.

    in reply to: Repertoire for recitals #144753
    unknown-user
    Participant

    There may be at tendency amoung audiences and critics to compare the harp’s repertoire with the piano. Since many of the greatest minds throughout history were pianists or organists, the pianist repertoire is nearly unriveled. I began as a pianist and switched to harp because the harp has unique expressive abilities in its amazing range of color. I try to include pieces on recitals that show this expressive ability. Some of the harp repertoire that I believe shows the harp at its best include the CPE Bach Sonata, Faure Impromptu, Glinka Nocturne, Tailleferre Sonata, Hindemeith Sonata, Britten Suite. Luciano Berio’s Sequenza no. 2 for harp rarely gets recorded, and is expressively challenging to interpret, but is an awesome piece showing an extended range of effects the harp can create. Hovhaness’ music is

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144893
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Wasn’t going to add another “2 cents” but can’t resist.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144894
    unknown-user
    Participant

    James – please share where you got the vest/shirt combination.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144895
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I play barefoot/socks all the time at home but at my lessons my teacher insists on shoes. I
    only have a pair of thin ballet shoes with a small heel so it’s all good :-) But if I have a
    concert or competition coming up, then I do wear my shoes and dress (I’m always in pants;
    I’m not the skirt type) so I get used to it beforehand. I guess it’s the same for the guys:
    you’re used to playing in a sweater/t-shirt/whatever and then at a concert you have to
    wear a suit.

    in reply to: taking my harp to college…? #167570
    unknown-user
    Participant

    if your going to live there, i think it would be a very wise decision to take the three days or whatever it takes to safely transport your harp here to masschusetts. whenever you stop at a hotel just make sure to tune up so it doesnt get TOO messed up. your going to love it hea=re in massachusets! boston is my FAVORITE place in the world, tehres so much to do- i love it!

    in reply to: taking my harp to college…? #167571
    unknown-user
    Participant

    If you’re studying professionally at college than I would say that you should definately take
    your harp with you. I know that if I went to college/university I would want my own harp,
    even if it were the other side of the country!

    in reply to: taking my harp to college…? #167572
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Definitely take your harp.

    in reply to: Arts High Schools #167707
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Im from Ireland, but Im 16, and have been playing the harp for 10 years.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144892
    unknown-user
    Participant

    i hatttttte playing pedal harp with shoes. I have some nice fitting black leather shoes that are quite nice, but my toes dont NEARLY come to the tip, so they can be noisy in the pedally sections. When I play with orchestras, i rehearse and perform in black socks- since im in the back of the orchestra, where no one could possibly see my feet. I think with socks on i can sort of “wrap” and “caress” if you will, my toes around the pedal which makes for a much smoother, quiter glide. I knowwwwwww i should start practicing with shoes on.and i have- im just getting used to it before i get TOO used to playing with socks.

    in reply to: traveling with a sharpsicle #164358
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I thought the Sharpsicle fits in the overhead bin?

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166336
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hola a todos,

    Me encanta saber que este grupo de arpistas latinos crece cada dia mas. Soy colombiana, toco arpa clasica hace bastante tiempo.

    in reply to: A Virtual Reality Harp Resource #88848
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Now accepting links from artists to be posted in the Virtual Reality Harp Center…email VR4YourPC@aol.com

    in reply to: Arts High Schools #167706
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I went to Baltimore School for the Arts in Baltimore, MD. It’s a public school so it’s free, but you have to audition to get in.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,471 through 4,485 (of 5,570 total)