unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,411 through 4,425 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What to put on a demo CD #146171
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh, Carl what a great idea! I’m getting a demo tape recorded in a studio this coming February. What about a big ugly farting sound? Or maybe the screech of a cat when it’s talk is stepped on? Genius!

    Meow!

    in reply to: What to put on a demo CD #146167
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Short

    in reply to: taking my harp to college…? #167574
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Very good words of wisdom!

    in reply to: So who else is doing the AHS Competition this year? #167403
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, I’ve been working on the rep since about October and it’s going great! At first I thought that I would never be able to get Feerie done in time, but now, as time goes on it’s looking more and more conceivable. During the week I’m usually really really busy, so I get most of my practicing done on weekends. I’m so excited I might be able to go to LA to compete, it looks like it will be

    in reply to: Building technique #89169
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I use the Salzedo Daily Dozen and Conditioning excersises every once in a while. I also some time do La Source by Hasslemans (even though playing it makes me want to dip myself in batter and fry myself in hot oil…) to change things up. Most of the time though, when I sit down to practice, I still do trusty arpeggios, up and down the harp- i do them over until i get them right- and then do them 3 more times.

    I think another thing that harpists (especially very advanced ones) may be overlooking is the value of good, old fashioned SCALES. Theyre so simple, but yet so invaluable! Theyre the first things youll learn and the last things youll forget.

    I also have some Krumpholtz etudes I use every once in a while.

    :-)

    in reply to: Unruly Students #89233
    unknown-user
    Participant

    yes! thats it! i remember her mother coming to explain to me about how her daughter had a mild case of it. Now her mother sits in on the lessons, and every thing seems to be running a lot smoother.

    in reply to: Repertoire for recitals #144756
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am lately quite taken with the expressive possibilities of Flothuis’ Tombeau de Orphee, and I love music by Henk Badings, especially his Ballade for Flute and Harp, and the Cavatina; and the Notturno by Lex Van Delden.
    As for the harpist’s pieces you mentioned, I have outgrown any interest in them. Such pieces are more fascinating to harpists because of their intricacies and because they are by our colleagues. I have found that general, informed audiences and other sophisticated musicians such as pianists do not like them. Elizabeth Volpe had a good comment on their over-reliance on repetitive figures. But I think it has also something to do with a kind of gloomy mood they all seem under the spell of. Such dark harmonies. Thank you for your answer.

    in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166889
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am not trying at all to argue, simply to establish some clarity about the differences there may be, which are often mostly esthetic. One reason you see less difference than there used to be is that some of the Salzedo approaches have been adopted very widely. What remains significant is that to play his music as it was meant to be heard does require specific knowledge of his esthetic. Also, the quality of harp playing in general, in terms of basic ability seems to have risen overall in the last twenty years. I hope you will continue your study along the same lines so you can fully participate in his wonderful music, which is so important to hispanic culture, I have always thought.

    in reply to: How can i buy harps!!!??? #167248
    unknown-user
    Participant

    You should audition for American schools, especially the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, or Temple University. You may find it easier to get a harp once you’re here. Some schools have enough harps for the students to use. I know a harpist named Adan Vazquez who was from the Dominican Republic. He went to school here and was able to buy a harp eventually. I may be able to teach you through some schools.

    in reply to: Youth Orchestras in Massachusets Area #167414
    unknown-user
    Participant

    This is not meant in any mean sort of way, but in case you have to fill out forms for auditions and applications, you must spell correctly, especially composer’s names. Besides looking at the music, you should have music dictionary that lists composer’s names so you can familiarize yourself with them. You want to appear literate and up to whatever tasks you’re facing. You might want to have a couple of cadenzas prepared like the Nutcracker and Capriccio Espagnole just in case you have the chance to play one. They may test your sight-reading as well.

    in reply to: Youth Orchestras in Massachusets Area #167415
    unknown-user
    Participant

    thankyou very much but ive been in orchestras for nearly 4 years, and im well aware that i need to sightread, and SPELL correctly. And just for the record, I mispelled saint-saens becuase i was asking a simple question, and didnt feel the need to run downstairs and check my music to make sure i was spelling this persons name correctly.

    any one who wants to HELP me is welcomed to

    in reply to: Youth Orchestras in Massachusets Area #167417
    unknown-user
    Participant

    When on the internet, no, I don’t bother (and MANY OTHER people don’t bother) making a thread look like it’s worthy of being on a Havard application. It’s simply a casual thing. But now it has directed some attention, I guess I will have to.

    in reply to: Youth Orchestras in Massachusets Area #167419
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Okay every one, I have an idea!

    I’m not trying to be bitter with anyone, honestly- I’m not that kind of person! Sorry to Carl or Saul if it sounded a bit sour of me… looking back at the thread it sort of was! Haha, sorry guys :-)

    My idea is…

    If there’s ever some sort of issue you’d like to address that isn’t related to my question, just e-mail me. :-) And we can avoid this whole conspiracy. Happy day!

    Deal? :-)

    in reply to: harp carts/dollys #161961
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi:

    in reply to: harp students wanted (in westchester, ny area) #89237
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’m in westchester (Somers) and I’m interested in learning harp. Can you give anymore info??

Viewing 15 posts - 4,411 through 4,425 (of 5,570 total)