harpcolumn

taking my harp to college…?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists taking my harp to college…?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I’m a high school senior this year in Colorado, and next year I’m
    going to college in Massachusettes. It would be very difficult for
    me to transport my pedal harp across the country, but the school I’m
    attending has only one pedal harp for about 7 students! Are there
    any other harpists out there that have any suggestions? Do most
    college students take their harps across the country with them?

unknown-user
    Participant

if your going to live there, i think it would be a very wise decision to take the three days or whatever it takes to safely transport your harp here to masschusetts. whenever you stop at a hotel just make sure to tune up so it doesnt get TOO messed up. your going to love it hea=re in massachusets! boston is my FAVORITE place in the world, tehres so much to do- i love it!

unknown-user
    Participant

If you’re studying professionally at college than I would say that you should definately take
    your harp with you. I know that if I went to college/university I would want my own harp,
    even if it were the other side of the country!

unknown-user
    Participant

Definitely take your harp.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

before definately taking your harp, figure out where you get to keep it.

unknown-user
    Participant

Very good words of wisdom!

unknown-user
    Participant

Evangeline’s story reminded me of my college, to which a style 15 was very generously donated by an alumnus, after a special request by the school, so I would have an instrument to use. It was stored with the practice organ, which, luckily, nobody seemed to want to use much. It was a nice harp. Somehow a foot on the harp got broken, but got fixed. It couldn’t possibly have been from my moving it to and from the concert hall. Several years after I graduated, there hadn’t been any students there for a while, and the faculty member apparently didn’t ever visit, because the harp was in its trunk and not in tune or anything. The next time I saw it, the sounding board had pulled out of the base and broken off. It was sickening to see how it had been neglected. They haven’t owned another harp since.

B Y
    Participant

I would just be careful.

Tacye
    Participant

Certainly keeping your harp in college may involve keeping it in situations which are less secure than it is at home.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies