unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,396 through 4,410 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: taking my harp to college…? #167575
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Evangeline’s story reminded me of my college, to which a style 15 was very generously donated by an alumnus, after a special request by the school, so I would have an instrument to use. It was stored with the practice organ, which, luckily, nobody seemed to want to use much. It was a nice harp. Somehow a foot on the harp got broken, but got fixed. It couldn’t possibly have been from my moving it to and from the concert hall. Several years after I graduated, there hadn’t been any students there for a while, and the faculty member apparently didn’t ever visit, because the harp was in its trunk and not in tune or anything. The next time I saw it, the sounding board had pulled out of the base and broken off. It was sickening to see how it had been neglected. They haven’t owned another harp since.

    in reply to: Lever Problem #167614
    unknown-user
    Participant

    To answer your question: Yes.

    in reply to: Lever Problem #167615
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sometimes regular levers can be rather sticky, therefor taking up extra time at performances. As you have probably guessed, performance levers have a smoother action. Pressure might not be the only other explanation for this, as I used to tune my E’s and B’s flat for minor pieces. I can assure you, the levers where up for extended periods of time while playing major pieces.

    in reply to: Lever Problem #167616
    unknown-user
    Participant

    In that case, yes, I have performance levers (at least I think so). My last harp, a 29-string
    lever harp levers that were less smooth in raising/lowering. The ones on my Prelude are
    very smooth and fluent. That’s why when one of the lower strings got caught in the lever, I
    was kind of freaked out. When I say “left the levers up for too long” I meant for over 24
    hours. I was gone all day Friday (school, then to a friend’s house) and had forgotten all
    about the levers being left up. So the next day when I sat down at the harp and it
    happened. (trust me, I do try to remember to put the levers down at all times when I’m not
    practicing!)

    Thanks for your help! – Cameron

    in reply to: Hello #167658
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Don’t play anything longer than you have the stamina for. Measure by your worst passages not your best. If you get those to where you feel proud of them, then the best will be great. If you’re playing all solos, do at least one that shows off what the harp can do. And do at least one that is serious music. The Beethoven Variations on a Swiss Air would be good,

    in reply to: Harp Recital in Philadelphia #167661
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The performance is Sunday, February 27th, at 3:00 p.m., at Chestnut Hill Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, on Germantown Avenue. I don’t yet know the ticket price. It is a benefit for the chapter. The harp program is a tribute to my late teacher, Lucile Lawrence.

    in reply to: Harp song using frying pan #167669
    unknown-user
    Participant

    There’s also a piece called Chicken Reel by Joseph Quintile, in which you make the harp cluck like a chicken. And it does.

    in reply to: Lever Problem #167613
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Cameron… I don’t have a lever harp right now, but my last one (a L&H Troubadour V) never had that problem.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144936
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Keziah,

    The most meaning compliment I can get is from a teenager. Older people and
    children are easier to please. The reason I try to learn new music is to reach
    younger people.

    By the way, I?m looking for some new music that people under 25 years old
    would recognize. Any suggestions out there? Unfortunately, Hip-Hop has
    taken over and the pickings are thin?.

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144938
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Happy late birthday Keziah!

    I get requests for Nora Jones. What song of her’s will translate well on the
    harp and piano and is recognizable?

    What is the song from South Pacific?

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144933
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I?m old enough to remember when waitresses had to wear high-heal shoes.
    One of my earlier steady gigs I played honky-tonk piano in a very cool place
    in the Pasadena California area called Clearman?s Northwoods Inn. The
    waitresses wore stiletto heals, panties with lace, and push-up bras. Although I
    hope they are still wearing the panties and push-ups, I can?t imagine anything
    more inappropriate in 2005 than working in those shoes. Rules change,
    society changes, and we just need to adapt and be the best we can along our
    journey.

    Recently I?ve discovered that leather pants and shaving my head allow me to
    be the best I can?..

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144934
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Perception differences.

    I noticed Jan Jennings said this:

    ?I watched someone walk on stage to play the harp not long ago and kick off
    her shoes and proceed to play barefoot.

    in reply to: Piccolo jokes #108532
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Speaking of jokes……

    How do you get two Oboes to play in tune ?…….shoot one.

    How do you get two Piccolos to play in tune ?….shoot um both

    in reply to: Any young harpists want to chat? #167515
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello, I am 13 years old, will be 14 in July and would love to chat to anyother young harpist. My names Is Jacquline. Email me at cassuttmail@yahoo.com or aim me at bunnynose491. Thanks!

    in reply to: playing barefoot? #144932
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Elizabeth, my teacher told me to keep my heels on the floor.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,396 through 4,410 (of 5,570 total)