unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Con raghezza? #148627
    unknown-user
    Participant

    It is very clearly “raghezza.” I suppose it could be a typo. :/

    It’s in Grandjany’s Rhapsodie, page 7 line three; the part that has the melody in right hand harmonics and arpeggios in the left hand.

    Sam

    unknown-user
    Participant

    I agree with Saul. Carl, for your own credibility, show some respect. What Josh’s video shows is not intended disrespect, its just exagerration. (As all teachers utilize – and most to the extent that he showed, if not more!) I can surely speak for all of us when I say if you have a different teaching style, then please present it in a constructive, instead of berating manner.

    Josh, I admire that you’re experimenting with new techniques, such as your pedal trick. Anything else up your sleeve? I’ve been working on some of my own, which I intend to write into etudes.

    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’ve always thought that was kind of neat… I usually put all my pedals into flat like that at the end of a practice…

    HOWEVER, I would definitely classify that technique as “do not use unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.” Unfortunately, the section that he demonstrated does not require the technique. However, he does look like he has good control of it. To each his own, but I can’t believe anyone would pick that over generally accepted pedal technique when the latter can be easily utilized.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: favorite composer for the harp (any kind) #148765
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Definitely Renie. I also like Posse and Parish-Alvars.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Harp Camps Summer 2011 #165763
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello Shari –

    Highly recommend to check out one of these two summer programs for studies with Ina Zdorovetchi (most recent Israeli Competition top prize winner, principal harpist Boston Lyric Opera and Faculty at Boston Conservatory and Wellesley College)

    Saarburg International Music Festival, Germany
    http://www.saarburgfestival.de/
    July 3-17, 2011

    Vianden International Music Festival, Luxembourg
    http://www.viandenfestival.eu/
    August 15-29, 2011

    The participants will be in residence at Saarburg, or Vianden for 2 weeks, studying, receiving private instruction, observing open lessons and performing intensively under the guidance of an internationally experienced faculty and staff, while living in these scenic European locations.

    TUITION INCLUDES:

    • 13-day music course
    • 4 x 45 minutes individual lessons
    • 2 x 60 minutes Studio classes
    • 4 x 75 minutes ensemble coachings
    • Concert opportunities for all qualified participants (subject to faculty approval)
    • Free entrance to all festival concerts
    • Accommodations (double occupancy) with breakfast and lunch
    • Use of facilities

    (!) Harpists
    preparing for major harp competitions will be provided with special
    chamber music groups for in-depth study and performances of the required
    repertoire.

    in reply to: Song Titles #107155
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Zing! Went The Strings Of My Harp
    I've Got No Strings
    I've Got The World On A String
    Desafinado ( Slightly out of tune)

    in reply to: Reaching 1st octave #158002
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I think Carl has addressed this issue when talking about replacing necks – he adds extra to the block and increases the accessibility to the upper octave strings – David Williams did the same thing to my blue concert grand harp several years ago by adding a shim to the existing neck – it makes all the difference in the world – don’t know what area you are in or what you are close to in the way of technicians, but it is a fix that would let you keep your present harp –
    John Strand

    in reply to: Malfunctioning harp!!! #148828
    unknown-user
    Participant

    This doesn’t really relate to the argument here (though I agree) but I think it is pretty pointless to insert “MAJOR COMPANY” and drop such obvious hints. Actually, they are more than hints: it’s as if you described a CERTAIN MACHINE as one that freezes food, just because you don’t want to say freezer.

    If you feel you need to

    in reply to: expressive playing #83612
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Images and scenes definitely work. My teacher went to a specialized music school from the age of eight, and she’s told me that she used to have a class when

    in reply to: Column Theory #72991
    unknown-user
    Participant

    No, I don’t think that only gauge affects sound. But gauge is significant and would be most noticeable.

    Especially in the context of

    in reply to: learning Piano after harp? #104454
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I began learning piano after harp. After 7 months of lessons spread over three summers, I am playing some of the Chopin Etudes. I suspect it harder to go from piano to harp than harp to piano – I had no dificulties whatsoever.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Need recommendations for an amplifier #148196
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carvin StageMate – relatively lightweight – battery or ac power – 4 input mixer with excellent versatility – available with effects built in –

    in reply to: Column Theory #72989
    unknown-user
    Participant

    As to wire strings, Bow Brand Tarnish resistant strings are a different

    in reply to: What do you wear for gigs? #149165
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Wah Fu Restaurant, wow gold1005 Brown St., will close in late October or early November after 20 years of business, according to an article published bybuy wow gold
    the Dayton Daily News on Monday, Sept. 27.

    in reply to: Israel competition #149175
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Do you mean me and Zach? No – why would I answer my own question?

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 5,570 total)