unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,206 through 2,220 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165587
    unknown-user
    Participant

    An Irish composer called Brian Boydell wrote a piece a few years ago for harp, organ and timpani! It’s called ‘Confrontations in a Cathedral’ I think… or something like that.

    in reply to: GOOD experiences with cheap “ebay” harps? #163580
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hey Kelly! I want to put in a plug for the Waring cardboard harps. Last spring, I was 23, a recent college grad, and ridiculously broke to the point of couch-surfing… but I couldn’t get playing the harp out of my head, and even a Harpsicle seemed way too expensive. So I got the Waring kit for $130 on amazon.com. I put it together in a couple of days, and everybody I’ve shown it to has been *shocked* by how good it sounds. It’s quiet, but it has a lovely tone. And it’s so light and easy to carry; I took it outside to the park with me all summer. I even painted it a funky bright blue. :-)

    If you would like to visit my Waring harp to see how it sounds, I live in the near Boston suburbs… we’re practically neighbors, in the grand scheme of things. :-) Or I could try to send you a sound sample, though my computer microphone is pretty crap.

    Cheers!
    Molly

    (Epilogue: I have since become less broke, and my first paycheck at my new job went to a) harp lessons, and b) a L&H Shamrock rental from Harp Connection. I warn you, this “harp lust” exerts a powerful grip!)

    in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165585
    unknown-user
    Participant

    sorry bro, no offense intended

    in reply to: The down side of a piano background #85953
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Lisa,

    I was first trained on piano. The strategy I took in learning the harp was to analyze which aspects were parallel, which were opposite. The physical movements and conceptual framework between the two instruments tends towards one of the other. I figured out which physical movements were harp specific and focused on practicing those in technical exercises. I didn’t worry about diving into a lot of repertoire right away. Having the knowledge to read the music, execute phrasing, and some aspects of physical control of pressure and distance, etc. were already in place, so focusing on the least developed aspects and working to make those the strongest is the shortest path to make the transition between the two instruments. These included the position and use of the thumb, strengthening the muscles at the base of the thumb and the ones that control the joints at the tips of the fingers, etc., closely deeply, and increased stability in the wrist. Now if you are learning both simultaneously, that might create a different scenario. It may be worth developing a warm-up on harp that focuses on the physical movements specific to that instrument to get into the physical and mental state before your regular practice.

    in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165584
    unknown-user
    Participant

    hey there Bud – watch your language, hey? while

    in reply to: Fashion Sense #86643
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Teachers should guage a student’s respect by the amount of time and effort put into learning rather than something as shallow and superficial as clothing. “Harp lessons” do not include lessons on how to not dress like a slut.

    in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165583
    unknown-user
    Participant

    being a male harpist fucking rocks because you’re surrounded by hella harpist babes.

    in reply to: help with venus website #163798
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi – no problem here accessing the Venus website – however, since the topic has come up, the past several months I have gotton a number of “can’t access page” on the Harp Column website – usually lasts a couple of hours, but once it was

    in reply to: Amahl question #150367
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I”ve played it three of four years, but

    in reply to: Fashion Sense #86641
    unknown-user
    Participant

    A performance wardrobe that includes dress pants is important to me as a harpist. I do own some skirts/dresses, but they are overall more problematic. They have to have the right amount of gather, a precise length that doesn’t bother the pedals and stays long enough when seated, etc. Also, with harp hauling to some gigs dresses are impractical in the wind and physical effort of setting up. I feel much more relaxed, confident, and professional in slacks. I do tend to wear longer blouses with them and lower heeled shoes with good balance. I avoid clothing that adds extra concern of any kind.

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 #68896
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The lady in Salvi Harps told me Salvi

    in reply to: Can you tune a harp in a diff. key? #163810
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have a 38 inch tall Mintstrel harp by Mid-East.It is a lever harp.It is a 29 string harp and has levers on 26 of the strings except the last 4 highest strings.The reason for my asking if you can tune a harp to a diff. key is because someone told me most classical music is played in the key of E.

    in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86752
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Meleah,

    I love Sunita Staneslow! I would love to see her perform sometime. I do have a book of hers with some wonderful melodies in it. And actually I like her arrangment of Carolans Farewell to Music. I will

    in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86751
    unknown-user
    Participant

    When I was first thinking about playing the harp, my dad got me the CD “Solo Harp” by Sunita Staneslow. The song “Tiny Drops of Rain” was what settled it for me. I had to play that song some day!! It is so beautiful!

    in reply to: Fashion Sense #86637
    unknown-user
    Participant

    You two gurls are just naughty…but nice! So, should still get a chrissy present!

Viewing 15 posts - 2,206 through 2,220 (of 5,570 total)