harpcolumn

Any male harpists in here?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Any male harpists in here?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Oy, chichornya. 🙂 Ya lyublyu go to Russia but is so far. I never heard of Slepushkin, only Erdelis, Tauer, Shameyeva, Ortenburg, Dulova. We have great tradition here, too.

zoraida-avila
    Participant

Zdradstvuite!
    Vam pishet Zoraida Avila, naverno vy pro menia uzhe slushali. Uchilas’ u Very Gueorguievni Dulovoi. Ochen’ priiadno vstretit’ vac cherez etot forum.
    Interesno: u kovo vy uchites’? V kokom gorode zhiviote?
    Esli vam ludshe, pishite cherez moi lichni adress: zavilap@gmail.com
    Spasibo.
    Zora
    Copa (po-russkiy)

unknown-user
    Participant

I would like the advice of the young men here for a writing project I am working on about playing the harp, starting out. Please let me know about your experiences.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hye Jacob – so you are from Malta?

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m a 21 y/o dude and have been playin harp for 11 years.

unknown-user
    Participant

Where are you, that you can’t have a teacher? That’s a shame. And, I hate to tell you this, but Scintillation and Variations sur un theme dans le style ancien are pieces you should be coaching with a Salzedo teacher who knows them. I can help you, but in Philadelphia. But they are great pieces to know and great for you. I agree, it is so hard to work alone, still is for me now, but I could not continue without a teacher at your stage. I hope you find someone, and let me know if I can help.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi, I’m 23

I may have made my last posting a bit prematurely (if you consider a few years premature).

Since graduating with a bachelor’s and moving to another institution I have had nothing but positive feedback on studying the harp.

While ebony harps look great, I have been frequently told that they don’t survive cosmetic blemishes well. If you do get one, you need a strategy to protect and repair the finish. If you want a simple, plain looking harp, why not get an ebony style 30 or 100?

unknown-user
    Participant

being a male harpist fucking rocks because you’re surrounded by hella harpist babes.

unknown-user
    Participant

hey there Bud – watch your language, hey? while

unknown-user
    Participant

sorry bro, no offense intended

vince-pierce
    Participant

Actually, I’ve heard that ebony harps are easier to touch up, because there is no wood grain visible, and since pianos are finished the same way, someone with experience refinishing pianos could refinish a harp. I actually do know a harpist who has done this with an ebony harp. I would agree, though, that if there’s a ding or scratch, it’s kind of obvious because of the difference in the color of the natural wood and the black finish. I play an ebony Salvi Diana at church, and the few knicks it has (I’m amazed the harp is in such good cosmetic condition) are pretty obvious. Fortunately, the’re mostly on the base, so no one can really see that. I could be wrong about the finish, though.

And I, too, am a male harpist, 21, and in year three of study. I have never really encountered any negativity when I play for people, though now and then I get questions like, ‘Isn’t it unusual for guys to play harp?’ Mostly people are too awestruck by the instrument – especially little kids! My ideal harp would be a Salzedo, and also a 23 (the flowery style has grown on me – no pun intended – since I play a 23 at school) or 17, and the 100 in mahogany or walnut. I wish I could get a 23 or Salzedo in ‘old maple’ finish, like the color the wood eventually turns after a few years. My teacher’s Salzedo is a gorgeous color, it’s one of the original 50 I think. For now I play on what I can, and wish for a harp of my own…

I think it would be kind of cool to form a duo or trio with an odd instrumentation – especially a female trombonist, or another male harpist. I think the flute+harp thing is kind of old, though it is very nice. Harp I think also works well with cello, oboe, maybe horn, violin or viola and definitely clarinet. How about a jazz combo of harp, tuba, violin and drums? That would be a hoot. I want to try it sometime…I think it would be perfectly suited to ragtime. Anyhow, enough of my rambling! 🙂

unknown-user
    Participant

An Irish composer called Brian Boydell wrote a piece a few years ago for harp, organ and timpani! It’s called ‘Confrontations in a Cathedral’ I think… or something like that.

unknown-user
    Participant

Ha ha 🙂 very interesting thread indeed. Yes maybe harp is a little more female instrument, but most of the compositions for harp are written by man!
    So male and female are equal at this point… But i think that it is more beautifull sight when a female is sitting and playing the harp…
    It is simply charming… 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.