harpcolumn

Salvi Daphne 40

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Salvi Daphne 40

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

Nope, I’m wrong. Just checked. The current GP has discs down to the bottom string but one, and the regular 85P only lacks the bottom 2 string mechanisms now, according to the photos on the the L&H site. Top two strings are still lacking mechanism on both models.

unknown-user
    Participant

Glad that you clarified that, as I was looking at my students GP and wondering why we in our part of the world get more discs than you do!

unknown-user
    Participant

With student repertoire I don’t think the missing three discs are that much of an issue in the extremities…it has not been a problem for studnets i’ve had at an intermediate level. As you can tune the notes you need in the extremities, as one

unknown-user
    Participant

I do not understand much of the problem you said with discs, it may be my language is not good in English. I have the old 85E model harp, 46 string harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

The lady in Salvi Harps told me Salvi

Not really as ridiculous as you may think. I don’t believe they used to be made in the same factory. I believe they used to be completely separate concerns….L&H and Salvi. So perhaps the older ones really do sound quite different. However, that being said, EVERY harp sounds distinctly different than every other harp.

Briggs

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I can’t believe they’re the same except for appearance because the specs are different. Salvi harps have always weighed slightly more than comparably sized Lyon & Healys; I’ve always heard it was because of the Salvi neck construction, which is reputedly very strong. Carl, do you have an opinion on this or some info to share based on your experience?

mark-andersen
    Participant

Well I would certainly defer to Carl on this as he is by far the expert but I can tell you that I have a Salvi Daphne 40 sitting right beside a L&H 85P in my teaching studio right this very minute and they are certainly NOT the same harp. The action is different, the number of discs are different, the width of the sound board is different, the height of the two harps vary by 3 inches and the shape of the neck is different. There is absolutely no way that they are the same harp except for the “look.” They sound totally different which is the most important distinction.

Unless Salvi has completely changed the Daphne within the last 9 months this information cannot be correct. Granted they are both smaller than my concert grand but they are certainly not the same harp.

Mark

brook-boddie
    Participant

These harps are not the same.

Two other small pedal

unknown-user
    Participant

Ha ha ha ha ha! I agree logo make no difference! But I do think they are different harp. Different to play, feel different, string tension different, different size to sit at. And they sound very different, Salvi Daphne more contained and dark, 85 very very bright .

I do not know what wood or where they make but are different. Is the lady at Salvi that you talk to play harp? As they are different if you play.

john Doe
    Participant

Don’t buy a harp for your school!

You might want to think of the inpact the the insterment will do. A harp is great but it will only help a few students learn and love music.

For the price of one harp you could buy 150 volins and reach so meny more students.

diane-michaels
    Spectator

I couldn’t disagree more!

unknown-user
    Participant

John John John John…..John…my naughty little pixie….

Now you are just being naughty.. and you know what happens to naughty kiddies at Christmas…they do not get any presents from Santa…You really are a naughty little pixie that just says things to “stir the pot”..I wonder if you are bored?? So, you like pulling the pigtails of us harpists??

Anyway, it and important topic. And as usual, your topics are always interesting to consider, even if I do not always agree with you. And you have exposed and attitude in music education that is problematic, quantity vs quality. A zillion violins instead of one harp.

I agree with Diane, that harp is a great addition to any music program. In particular it is wonderful for schools to have harp there for chamber music with the other kids, to accompany the choir and for orchestra. It really does help young musicians develop to have access to the full range of instruments and sounds.

Also, harps are very expensive, so few students can afford them when they are studying and so a harp in a school is a wonderful thing. It exposes so many students to harp that may never have had that opportunity otherwise, and who knows what untapped talent it out there? I would love to put more harps in schools, not less.

As to the question of harpists bringing their own harps…I don’t consider that

unknown-user
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.