unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,056 through 2,070 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Interesting article on harp therapy for animals #163681
    unknown-user
    Participant

    There are many Sonatas by Sporh, and also Krumpholtz for harp and violin, and a nice piece by Vieuxtemps, too.

    in reply to: Interesting article on harp therapy for animals #163684
    unknown-user
    Participant

    If the bottome of the square is open, it means a brief fermata, as opposed to a full fermata. In the Corelli Giga there is one before the recap of the theme. It is a brief pause, meaning very short. I don’t think he invented that notation.

    in reply to: Interesting article on harp therapy for animals #163683
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello Hannah,

    Salzedo explains his symbols in his “Modern Study of the Harp” and “Method for the Harp” by Salzedo and Lucille Lawrence.

    in reply to: Etudes #82393
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Carl,

    in reply to: Universities and conseratories with the best harp programs #166958
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I would also point out that there are many good schools with good music programs who don’t have an appointed harp instructor, and wait for a student to enroll and then either hire someone or hire whom the students wants, or the student studies privately.

    in reply to: 2008 NEW YEAR’S HARP RESOLUTIONS #111738
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, here is a nice turn of event!

    in reply to: Interesting article on harp therapy for animals #163672
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Interesting

    I have a puppy who is (mostly) of a breed known to tend towards aggression but he is very sweet natured, partly because we try to raise him with love and positive, not negative reinforcement but I wonder if hearing me play a lot might have an effect. Years ago when I was living ‘back to the land’ (how I miss those days) I would play out in the barn to the sheep and goats, chickens etc and they calmed down and were less stressed. There is a way, in which playing traditional folk tunes, leaning against a fencepost, or propped up on a feed-bin really helps you get the soul into the music. Also all farmers know that having a radio in the barn helps cattle (or goats) make a better milk yield. I do wonder if the puppy is doing better because he hears me on the harp most every night. Thanks for sharing this interesting article.

    in reply to: nylon #163155
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I don’t have a chart yet. I have not heard or played Savarez strings on a harp like mine yet, and was not won over by them on a Venus or Wurlitzer, but the harps were not enough like mine for comparison. It would help if they were the same thickness and tension while tuning to pitch.

    in reply to: Who Knows Irish #163026
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Webster’s are similar, so I think it must have been McFall.

    in reply to: Interesting article on harp therapy for animals #163686
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The “Salzedo” edition is by Marie Miller, part of the Salzedo pedagogy.

    unknown-user
    Participant

    I agree with Carl, Laura, Elizabeth and Saul. It depends on the student. As for the student who got the orchestra position, it doesn’t mean that he or she wouldn’t have gotten that much better with the new teacher. It depends on who it was. Miss Lawrence was not shy about changing student’s techniques, it was one of her strengths, and she always dramatically improved their playing, unless they were unreceptive to her ideas. A lesser teacher might ruin someone, it is true, and it doesn’t work with everyone. I see very few professional harpists who couldn’t improve on their playing, especially those who get jobs very early. Not a lot, perhaps, but there is always room to grow. I improve each year, and it gets easier and easier, and harder and harder to keep up with myself. Everyone can improve their tone and interpretation, that is being an artist. What most of us lack is a coach, someone to listen with an informed ear. I recently learned a tremedous lesson that affects every piece, from a pianist. I am dying to shout it to the world, but I can only teach my own students.

    I will say, that anyone who wants a professional career as a harpist should be of sturdy build and health, to cope with the physical demands, and very well-balanced emotionally to cope with the stress, very understanding of people to deal with the personalities, a great strategist to deal with the politics, and have a great ability to concentrate. It also helps to not need money. Do any of us have any or all of these attributes? Not me.

    in reply to: Ever have a nightmare involving your harp? #162398
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Paul’s reminds me of a concert I wish was a dream, where we arrived with my harp, and everything, but my tuxedo, and it was at Lincoln Center! Fortunately, we got it just in the nick of time.

    in reply to: nylon #163153
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Since Pirastro does not have complete sets, would a medium-gauge d substitute for a heavy-gauge e, and likewise g for a? But then, they have no fs, so maybe it is pointless to revert to them. I have a few left myself. It is very irritating that they would not make these, even one batch to have them on hand, and they did not indicate to me if I should try to order from them directly or not. I don’t think the dealers here will handle a special order, and I think they should be more communicative with us. How big of a problem could it be for them to make one batch every year or three so they are available to those who need them? Do they know that some harps require thicker strings in order to regulate the intervals so they are in tune?

    Thanks for your assistance. It’s not very helpful to know the thicker dimensions if no-one will make them.

    in reply to: new harp won’t stay tuned, is it normal? #163691
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh, that wasn’t exactly English in my last post…Sorry, hope it’s clear though!

    M.

    in reply to: new harp won’t stay tuned, is it normal? #163690
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hallo,
    the harp is new and has nylon strings, so I guess the tuning problem is temporary.
    The pins where probably like that when I bought it, but I didn’t really checked that. I just would like to know if others have harps with pins that are inserteted in the wood slightly irregularly (I’m not sure I explained very well what I mean). I’m so paranoid about this harp because I flew with it. They let me take it to the plain myself, then they put it away (not in the cabin) and they gave it back to me bafore going off the plain, so even if it didn’t fay as standard luggage, it hasn’t been in my sight all the time.
    Thanks folks 🙂
    M.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,056 through 2,070 (of 5,570 total)