harpcolumn

Universities and conseratories with the best harp programs

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Universities and conseratories with the best harp programs

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Laura- That was a wonderful post. In particular about the girl who became a scientist. I have been teaching a talented boy for the past two and a half years. He’s now a senior in high school. I told him and his mother right when he started with me that he was talented enough to be able to do whatever he wanted to do with the harp WITHOUT getting a music degree. I encouraged him to pursue another, non-musical career if he could find one that he would like. It turns out that he’s also passionate about cooking and next September he’ll be going to cooking school. He’ll always play the harp and he’ll be able to do gigs, enter competitions, play auditions, recitals, etc. without getting hideously into debt to get a degree that frankly no one cares about. It’s getting harder and harder for me to find any reason why someone should go to music school, let alone get multiple degrees, the most worthless of which is Doctor of Music.

Higher education is absolutely imperative to any serious musician. There is a level of musical intelligence that is only attained after years of study and experience with a master teacher. It is also important to study theory, music history, and be surrounded by other excellent musicians from whom you will learn many important things. A great deal is to be learned from other students who are more advanced or experienced than the freshman harpist. A Doctorate of Music is required in academic circles but some instrumentalists can get by with a Master’s degree if they are high caliber performers. It is important for students to consider what they want to do with their talent and choose teachers who can give them those opportunities should they merit them. As long as they have their eyes open to the financial realities of a musicians’ life they will be happy with their decision. If they have illusions of glamorous fame or want to be wealthy, they should consider another occupation. If a student cannot live without music, needs to play the harp to feel complete, then I say go for it.

unknown-user
    Participant

I agree with Carl, Laura, Elizabeth and Saul. It depends on the student. As for the student who got the orchestra position, it doesn’t mean that he or she wouldn’t have gotten that much better with the new teacher. It depends on who it was. Miss Lawrence was not shy about changing student’s techniques, it was one of her strengths, and she always dramatically improved their playing, unless they were unreceptive to her ideas. A lesser teacher might ruin someone, it is true, and it doesn’t work with everyone. I see very few professional harpists who couldn’t improve on their playing, especially those who get jobs very early. Not a lot, perhaps, but there is always room to grow. I improve each year, and it gets easier and easier, and harder and harder to keep up with myself. Everyone can improve their tone and interpretation, that is being an artist. What most of us lack is a coach, someone to listen with an informed ear. I recently learned a tremedous lesson that affects every piece, from a pianist. I am dying to shout it to the world, but I can only teach my own students.

I will say, that anyone who wants a professional career as a harpist should be of sturdy build and health, to cope with the physical demands, and very well-balanced emotionally to cope with the stress, very understanding of people to deal with the personalities, a great strategist to deal with the politics, and have a great ability to concentrate. It also helps to not need money. Do any of us have any or all of these attributes? Not me.

unknown-user
    Participant

I would also point out that there are many good schools with good music programs who don’t have an appointed harp instructor, and wait for a student to enroll and then either hire someone or hire whom the students wants, or the student studies privately.

kimberly-houser
    Participant

I think one of the best things you can do so go and interview at
    different programs, see the campuses interact with the faculty and the
    students, take a lesson with the teacher and sit in on some
    courses.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Even junior colleges are not hiring anyone now who does not have at least a masters degree, and if you want to stay on faculty or get tenure you must have, or be working toward, a doctoral degree.

bob-miller
    Participant

Carl,
    I think it is great that your student is pursuing other avenues. However, if he thinks becoming a chef will allow him the luxury of playing the harp on the side then he is in for a big surprise. Most chefs average 10-12

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies