unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,071 through 2,085 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: nylon #163149
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Bernhard,

    In an earlier post, you mentioned that Tynex is going to be 10% thicker than gut at a given vibrating length and tension. Fluorcarbon will be 7% thinner than gut. What happens to this relationship when you get into nylon core with a nylon wrap, for example? Does that percentage change?

    I may be getting off the subject a little here, but I’m curious about how to calculate bass wires. In other words, if I have a wrapped steel core bass wire and I want to change to fiber core wrapped bass. How do I know how much thicker the fiber has to be ?

    What I’m fooling with is a harp of modern manufacture. But the wood it was built from was birdseye maple that was submerged on the bottom of Lake Superior for 111 years. The wood was dried for two years and then I had it made into a harp. But, what I’ve found over the years I’ve had the harp is that it’s got so much sustain-so much ring- it’s almost uncontrollable. So I’m fooling with re-stringing the bottom 2 1/2 octaves to try and tame it just a little bit.

    in reply to: nylon #163148
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I was interested to read that you felt confident enough in the nylgut to put them on your Grecian. It never occurred to me to try that. I have an 1890 L&H single action that still has it’s original soundboard intact. My L&H is played everyday. I dearly love it. But I do agree with you-visibility of the gut strings is an issue.

    Who is still selling nylgut?

    unknown-user
    Participant

    The question of “starting over” raises the question of, to what degree and for how long? I have been through the process of making adjustments little by little over a two-year period, and that was hard on my body. I think it might be more far, in changing teachers and situations, to take the time out to spend a few months just on technique and position, and to get it working right before tackling repertoire. Then one doesn’t have to keep “harping” on this or that, which is a drag for the student. I do think one has to be up front and honest with students whenever possible, and to let them know your expectations and rules, so they aren’t learned by omission and commission. Students who don’t have a really good foundation, and just add on layers to it, to my ears, never really reach excellence because the foundation is lacking. So, to not start them over in some sense, is grossly unfair. It depends how systematic your approach is. And of course, it depends on the student.

    in reply to: Who Knows Irish #163022
    unknown-user
    Participant

    This was in the year 1976, that I saw the catalog. It probably used Brian Boru as a model name. McFall strikes a chord, perhaps that was the company.

    in reply to: nylon #163146
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I would like to have your chart also,

    in reply to: 2008 NEW YEAR’S HARP RESOLUTIONS #111736
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Fellow Texan,

    in reply to: Tournier’s Theme and Variations #83172
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Maybe it was just the recital I went to. He uses a lot of augmented chords or something that I get too much of.

    in reply to: 2008 NEW YEAR’S HARP RESOLUTIONS #111735
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl,

    in reply to: 2008 NEW YEAR’S HARP RESOLUTIONS #111734
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, well one of my ongoing gig resolutions

    in reply to: nylon #163144
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Bernhard, Thank you for your thoughtful input. I will leave my strings as is. I am told that my prelude has a great sound, so I will not tamper with

    in reply to: Christmas harps #111791
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Andy, My Prelude is in mahogany, the Aziliz is in natural maple with a curly maple veneer on the soundboard, the Clio is in pearwood, which is similar in color to maple with a slight pink overtone.

    in reply to: 2008 NEW YEAR’S HARP RESOLUTIONS #111728
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Doing exercises! Whoo hoo! Someone actually keeping resolutions! I’m impressed!

    My resolution is to keep to the exercise regime my physio gave me to keep the our first instrument (the body!) in good shape for playing…..I’ve been a bit slack since it has been the summer, and instead of doing all those strength exercises and stretches,

    in reply to: Christmas harps #111790
    unknown-user
    Participant

    “Curly would kill for one.”

    Yep, beg, borrow, steal, sell my soul…all of that. Maybe I just need to get a job in Germany so I’m earning Euros and can afford to buy one that way..as the exchange rate destroys any chance of ever affording one from this part of the world…

    I once had this bold and cunning plan that I would get them to repair an old

    in reply to: 2008 NEW YEAR’S HARP RESOLUTIONS #111725
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My resolution is to keep my hands relaxed, thumbs up, and breathe.

    -Cynthia

    in reply to: Christmas harps #111785
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Andy, The Clio is stunning in ebony! I have a Clio too. They have an amazing sound and projection.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,071 through 2,085 (of 5,570 total)