Interesting article on harp therapy for animals

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    carl-swanson on #163685

I’m assuming you’re talking about the Solfeggieto of C.P. E Bach(son of Johann Sebastian Bach). I’m sure you can get it at Vanderbilt or Lyra.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #163668

My husband just forwarded this link to me:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080107/sc_livescience/petsenjoyhealingpowerofmusic

Thought others here would find it interesting.

Audrey

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #163669

Great! My younger feline child came to us as a 1 1/2 week old foundling, and about a year later, began to ohave frightful temper fits, persisting to this day. She has neither benefitted nor suffered from my playing, but I shall persevere!

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #163670

The article does say that not all animals respond to it (I imagine the same is true with humans)

Audrey

Participant
    unknown-user on #163686

The “Salzedo” edition is by Marie Miller, part of the Salzedo pedagogy.

Participant
    Denise Lockamy on #163671

Now that’s an audience that might not make me anxious!

Participant
    unknown-user on #163672

Interesting

I have a puppy who is (mostly) of a breed known to tend towards aggression but he is very sweet natured, partly because we try to raise him with love and positive, not negative reinforcement but I wonder if hearing me play a lot might have an effect. Years ago when I was living ‘back to the land’ (how I miss those days) I would play out in the barn to the sheep and goats, chickens etc and they calmed down and were less stressed. There is a way, in which playing traditional folk tunes, leaning against a fencepost, or propped up on a feed-bin really helps you get the soul into the music. Also all farmers know that having a radio in the barn helps cattle (or goats) make a better milk yield. I do wonder if the puppy is doing better because he hears me on the harp most every night. Thanks for sharing this interesting article.

Participant
    Denise Lockamy on #163673

Yesterday, my 15 year old cat became very ill and had to have fluid removed from his lungs. He was very distressed when I brought him home, so thinking of this article, I played for him.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #163674

I’m so glad it helped!

Participant
    unknown-user on #163683

Hello Hannah,

Salzedo explains his symbols in his “Modern Study of the Harp” and “Method for the Harp” by Salzedo and Lucille Lawrence.

Participant
    zoraida-avila on #163677

I can recomend you the following pieces:
    Zerbina by B. Andres
    Larguetto Op. 119 by Nicolai Von Wilm
    Petit Hommage a Heitor Villa-Lobos

Good luck!

Zoraida

Participant
    zoraida-avila on #163678

…forgot the last composer:
    Serge Lecussant

Participant
    erin-wood on #163679

Fantasie by Saint-Saens is very showy and beautiful.

Keymaster
    kimberly-rowe on #163680

The Ibert Entracte is showy and not that hard for harp. It’s for flute or violin—about 2-3 mins. with a little harp cadenza in the middle. This piece always works well for the end or as an encore. It is flashy with a Spanish sound.

KIM

Participant
    unknown-user on #163684

If the bottome of the square is open, it means a brief fermata, as opposed to a full fermata. In the Corelli Giga there is one before the recap of the theme. It is a brief pause, meaning very short. I don’t think he invented that notation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.